Options

Starting a Network Consultant Firm

tbbucs40tbbucs40 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Im posting this message to figure out what some of you guys out there think about starting a network consulting firm. Meaning (if anyone doesn't) starting a business where one would get subcontracted by another busniess to be a network admin for them. Also other than just doing network admin, you would also answer general computing questions, do workstation maintance, server mainance.....ect.

TBBUCS40

Comments

• Options
    iowatechiowatech Member Posts: 120
    That's what I do in my home town, works really great. The funny part is though it has nothing to do with how much you know in IT ( to a point ) but how well you can communicate in an extremely friendly way what you are doing to the customers network / bottomline and making them feel empowered and informed. Basically that hiring you was the right decision.

Good Luck its a fun field once you get a solid client base going :D
  • Options
    freetechfreetech Member Posts: 154
    I do exactly what you're talking about, but I work it around my "day-job".
    Be honest, be helpful.
    Like iowatech said:
    Basically that hiring you was the right decision.
    and
    Good Luck its a fun field once you get a solid client base going
    Business can be up and down, so enjoy the good times and prepare for lean times.
    Good Luck!
    Experience is a harsh teacher. She gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.
  • Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm actually trying to get started doing this as well, but I'm having a hell of time finding time to find clients. I have one that I work about 5 - 10 hours a week, but the pay isn't what it could be.

I have formed an LLC and registered a domain for my website, but haven't made much progress on it. I'm wondering if we need licenses or insurance.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I started out doing this on the side, but got too busy with other things and switched to a better but more time consuming full time job to really develop the side consulting business. I still have one company for whom I do work regularly though. It's all about who you know and, if you make them happy, who they know.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    Consultants are the bane of my existance.
  • Options
    TrailerisfTrailerisf Member Posts: 455
    Consulting is the way to go... Takes a while to build up clients.. And I mean years.

I bill out 300+ hrs a month. I walk in the door and its the same fee if I am there 2 minutes or the whole hour. Its alot more challenging and you are constantly working on new or different hardware.

Its not an easy task to begin, but very rewarding once you get there. :P
    On the road to Cisco. Will I hunt it, or will it hunt me?