Options

Dynamips hardware advice

supercooldudesupercooldude Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm going to start studying for BSCI and I decided to buy a powerful used rack server, install linux and run dynamips on it, along with a few VMs.
By the time I pass BSCI and start studying for BCMSN, I will have saved money to get 2 L3 switches hopefully.
In the meantime, my budget for the server is about 400 USD and my choices on a local ebay-like auctions site come down to the following:

- DELL PowerEdge 6650, 4 x Xeon(MP) 2.0GHZ + 8GB + 2 x SCSI 72GB + Quad Port GigaEthernet
- IBM e-Server 326m, 2 x Opteron 2.4GHz + 16GB + 2 x SCSI 72GB + Quad Port GigaEthernet

Those of you guys who know how resource-hungry dynamips is, which server would you pick?

Edit: Oh, and things like electricity, noise or space don't really matter since I am allowed to install it in our testing rack.

Comments

• Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    16 GB of RAM seems way overkill. I would go with the quad core and 8gigs of RAM.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'd go with the Dell as well.
  • Options
    SepiraphSepiraph Member Posts: 179 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I also don't think you'd 16 GB of RAM, I don't have any issue running Dynamips on 2GB of RAM with Vista emulating a few 7200s but then I haven't ran a really large lab either. According to the Dynamips tutorial, there is also a physical memory limit http://dynagen.org/tutorial.htm:
    because OS limits a single process to 2 GB of virtual memory on 32-bit Windows, and 3 GB on 32-bit Linux.
    However, what you can do is run multiple Dynamips process or use VM, but even then I doubt you'd ever use up to 16GB, or arguably even 8GB for that matter. +1 on getting the quad since you'd likely be more limited by CPU than by memory if you do run very large lab.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Double check the model numbers and processor/speeds that were available for those models.

And if you can find out what kind of memory they have and the processor sockets -- that would make the choice a lot easier.

Those could be old Xeon MPs from 2002.... icon_eek.gif

Just based on just what you've mentioned, I'd go for the IBM eServer 326m.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Thanks everyone. Here are a few more details about the servers.

- DELL PowerEdge 6650, 4 x Single Core Xeon(MP) 2.0GHz (FSB400MHz) + 8GB (PC1600 DDR SDRAM Registered DIMM 1GB x 8 )
    - IBM e-Server 326m, 2 x Opteron 250 Single Core 2.4GHz + 16GB (PC3200R DDR SDRAM Registered CL3 ECC 2GB x 8 )

Although I do want to take more CPUs over more RAM, I am kind of leaning toward the opteron server because of its faster memory and its being 64bit.
    I am not sure but the Xeon MPs seem to be 32bit, so I can't help wondering how would it be possible to take full advantage of more than 4GB of RAM...

Any more comments?
  • Options
    marlon23marlon23 Member Posts: 164 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My question is, why would you need such a powerfull hw/so many router instances anyway.. I can 14 routers (Internetwork Expert CCIE dynamips topology) on Core Duo & 2GB RAM & GNU/Linux. IMHO Core 2 Duo or Quadro with 4GB RAM should be sufficient even for some crazy topologies :)
    LAB: 7609-S, 7606-S, 10008, 2x 7301, 7204, 7201 + bunch of ISRs & CAT switches
  • Options
    marlon23 wrote:
    My question is, why would you need such a powerfull hw/so many router instances anyway.. I can 14 routers (Internetwork Expert CCIE dynamips topology) on Core Duo & 2GB RAM & GNU/Linux. IMHO Core 2 Duo or Quadro with 4GB RAM should be sufficient even for some crazy topologies :)
    To answer your question, my computer is quite old running P4 2GHz with 1GB Ram.
    So I figured if I got a powerful machine, I could run on it as many labs as I wished, along with multiple VMs...
    Thanks for the advice anyway.
  • Options
    Thanks for the input everyone. I eneded up buying the following machine for roughly 380$ shipping and rack rails included.
    HP ProLiant DL145 G2
    CPU: 2 x DualCore Opteron 275 2.2GHz (Total 4 cores)
    RAM: 8GB (8 x 1GB PC3200R ECC Reg)
    HDD: 2 x 73GB (15K U320)
    I just got it yesterday, so I'll probably install it over the weekend.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Nice system. Hope you've got somewhere far away to put it though. Its not going to be very quiet :)
  • Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That 2GB limit can be extended on Windows.
  • Options
    tiersten wrote:
    Nice system. Hope you've got somewhere far away to put it though. Its not going to be very quiet :)
    Thanks. You're right, it's very loud.
    I was intending to put it in our company's testing rack, but I decided to keep it at home.
    I will put it the room on the far end of my apartment, in the closet.
  • Options
    I wasn't aware of that. Thanks.
    I am going to run the server on 64bit linux. That way I won't have to worry about memory issues.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    I wasn't aware of that. Thanks.
    I am going to run the server on 64bit linux. That way I won't have to worry about memory issues.
    The 2GB limit is only for 32 bit Windows which would be capped at 4GB of total memory anyway unless you've got a server version running.

Under certain circumstances, you can get a 3GB process space in 32 bit Windows by using the /3GB switch. There are many issues with turning it on and actually using it which is why its just not worth it these days. Run a 64 bit version of Windows and enjoy your 8TB process space :)