Options

70-282 as an elective for a Win2k3 MCSA?

m3thuselahm3thuselah Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey,

New to this forum, it looks good so far. Been looking for a good online community I can discuss certs with as the actual institutions that run the exams are useless where I'm from. I'll just use their exam hall and partnership with Microsoft to get the certs but their advice is terrible.

I did 70-282 (the SBS exam) as my first because it's what I'm supporting at the moment. I see it as an elective for an MCSE it doesn't seem to appear in the list of electives for the MCSA.

I (of course) intend to grab my MCSA on the way through to the MCSE, but I'm wondering if this exam doesn't count as an MCSA elective if I'll be able to.

Anyone know the answer to this?

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It doesn't look like it. The MCSE has a slightly larger number of electives to choose from and the MCSA has some that won't apply to the MCSE as well (i.e. A+/Network+ combo).

That's actually kind of interesting. It looks like you won't obtain an MCSA if you just complete your MCSE. I didn't know that was possible.
  • Options
    sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Here is a list of electives for the MCSA on Windows Server 2003.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcsa/windows2003/default.mspx

Unfortunatley I do not see 70-282 in this list.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • Options
    hettyhetty Member Posts: 394
    If you look at the objectives of 70-282, it makes you wonder why it isnt an elective for MCSA. Looks very similar to 70-290 & 70-291 with a few odds and ends thrown in.
  • Options
    doom969doom969 Member Posts: 304
    Having done the 70-282 as my first exam, than mcsa, than mcse, I can actually confirm this.

The 70-282 will give you mcp status and your mcse elective.
    It will not ive you your mcsa elective.
    I actually found this quite weird.
    Doom969
    MCITP (EST - EA ) - MCT
    A+ - IBM - SBSS2K3 - CISCO_SMB
    CompTIA : A+