Passed LPI exam 101

BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
Passed on the morning of April 7th :)

The exam was very heavy in package management -- you really need to master all options for dpkg and rpm. I went well outside what was covered in the LPI Certification in a Nutshell book, and I am glad I did. Read the manpages for each of these!!

Also tested fairly heavily on X Server (mainly know where to go to configure different settings), stream text editors such as sed, command redirection, usage of stdin/stdout/stderr, and dynamic libraries.

I actually liked the "free response" type questions where I needed to type in the answer from scratch -- I felt it tested my knowledge a bit better than the traditional multiple-choice questions.

Overall the objectives were covered fairly well, although I did see a few questions not mentioned in the official objectives AT ALL. I even went back after the test to see if I somehow missed them. Oh well, I passed regardless.

Next step is the LPI 102 exam. I will be using the same resources for this exam as well (Nutshell book by O'Reilley, IBM Developerworks tutorials, and hands-on with various distros).
MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)

Comments

• MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good job! How do you like the LPI exams? How do they differ from MS? And do you think it is a newbie friendly exam?

Oh and how far do you want to go with LPI? I like your certification goals, they seem similar to what I want to see tagged on my name. Aside from comptia stuff.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I liked that LPI exam for the most part, but some of the questions irritated me because they expected much more from you than what the objectives led you to believe. I can pretty much agree with Ahriakin's impressions from a while ago: http://techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=28047

In comparison to MS, this exam was much more cut-and-dry. You are presented a question, and you must give the answer. There is no filtering of information in the LPI 101 exam like there is in MS exams (in other words, no 2-3 paragraph-long questions).

Is it a newbie-friendly exam? No. You need to really master the material covered in the objectives. By the time you do, I really don't think you could still be considered a newbie. This isn't to say that there still isn't a ton to learn ;)

I will likely only pursue the junior-level LPI certification -- my current role would not benefit much from material covered in the higher level certs.
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Even though I'm a bit bitter over you making my cert list so small, I still have to offer my congratulations :D

Good luck with part deux!
  • BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Even though I'm a bit bitter over you making my cert list so small

Don't worry about it Dynamik, size doesn't matter. Well, at least that is what my girlfriend tells me.

Did I really just say that? icon_eek.gif
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Good to hear about the pass, good luck on the 102.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.