Options

Switching Contracts

MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
I will be switching contracts soon more than likely. I will be going from a permanent contract that I could probably stay for many years, to a contract that expires in about 3 years. The reason I'm switching is because my boss really wants to use my skills on the newer, more important, contract and I think it is a better opportunity. Some of the things I will be adding with the other contract are

* longer hours worked, possibly 8-12
* more calls after working hours as I don't really get any now
* possible late night 2-4am work as I don't have that problem with my current contract
* higher skills needs and more servers to watch
* highly possible management work
* again, I would be out of a job after 3 years
* travel

I think all this deserves a raise but as I was asking my boss about it and he wasn't real clear on the possibility for a raise. He was more thinking that they could do something when my first year working for the company comes up. However, I would like to give a more solid definition than (could do something).

Is it fine to ask for a raise when switching contracts for a company? Would a 15% raise be too much for the added responsibilities? When talks get more serious about switching contracts, do you think I should send him an email with these bullet points trying to establish a reason for asking for that kind of a raise or just talk to him?

I'm looking for advise on HOW to approach getting the raise when they want to change my job responsibilities when I'm make good money as it is.
My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!

Comments

• Options
    livenliven Member Posts: 918
    This all sounds like more responsibility and more work which should = raise.

Last time something like this happened to me I basically said to my boss:

Since I am assuming and accepting a position of more responsibility can we discuss a potential raise.

Unfortunately I never got the raise and worked hundreds of hours of over time (in less that 1/2 a year). Needless to say I left that job and never looked back.

All you can do is try. If the boss says no. Now if you get some really good experience out of this new position it still might be worth doing. But if you end like I was, killing your self for nothing in return, then you will have to make another decision when the time comes.
    encrypt the encryption, never mind my brain hurts.
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Oh heck no, dude!

They need to pay you! Don't get suckered! You need the money before you switch over. At the very least, you discuss it, and if he says no, you only take the position if the experience is good, and you know you're gonna leave for greener pastures once you get said experience. Otherwise, you'll be working for peanuts for the three years, and you'll be screwed!
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    And as mentioned earlier -- get it all on paper!
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Most of that sounds like it would suck. I wouldn't do it without a significant increase in pay (or some other amazing benefits). However, it depends on what you want to do. If the experience is exceptional, it might be worth it. Three years seems like a long to be locked into something just for experience.
  • Options
    Something else I forgot to mention is that they already believe I got a great pay raise (which I did) when I moved jobs so they think I'm happy with my pay (which I am... with this particular contract). So it will be tough to negotiate.

I think successfully getting the raise will depend on how I approach the situation so I'm looking for advise on that. Just asking for a raise won't do it I think... Feels like I need to try and defend my position but I'm not sure how.

Do you think 15% is a good bump for the added responsibilities?

Dynamik: The contracting company that hired me owns the contract so I can quit anytime. But after 3 years I'm out of a job. A lot of my want to switch over is due to the lack of experience I'm getting in my current position. I like to stay busy, keeps me motivated. :)

You may learn something!
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    First off, they gave you the prior raise to do the job you're doing now. Don't ever confuse that with this new job.

Secondly, they are always going to try to get you to do the most valuable job they can for the smallest amount possible. You MUST seize every opportunity to increase your pay. And it's not just what you make now; it's also what you make in the future. You're already talking about a raise of 15%... well, if you don't try to get a raise now, your next raise of x% is going to be smaller than what it could have been.

As for if 15% is a good bump or not, look at what they're asking you to do, what the market seems to pay for that kind of job, and what it's worth to you. If you're currently making let's say 30K/yr., then 15% is not enough IMO.
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    Thanks HP.

Just another quick clarification, I worked at company A for lets say 40K and then got another job at company B for lets say 60K. So I'm in the ranges where percentages are good increases and I know management usually likes talking percents. Company B is a contracting company that assigned me to one contract but now wants to use my skills on another contract and wants to know if I'm interested in moving.

I'm going to assume from the responses that it should be okay to ask for a raise when moving contracts for a company that I am hired on with.

You may learn something!
  • Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Mishra wrote:
    I will be switching contracts soon more than likely. I will be going from a permanent contract that I could probably stay for many years, to a contract that expires in about 3 years. The reason I'm switching is because my boss really wants to use my skills on the newer, more important, contract and I think it is a better opportunity. Some of the things I will be adding with the other contract are

* longer hours worked, possibly 8-12
    * more calls after working hours as I don't really get any now
    * possible late night 2-4am work as I don't have that problem with my current contract
    * higher skills needs and more servers to watch
    * highly possible management work
    * again, I would be out of a job after 3 years
    * travel

I think all this deserves a raise but as I was asking my boss about it and he wasn't real clear on the possibility for a raise. He was more thinking that they could do something when my first year working for the company comes up. However, I would like to give a more solid definition than (could do something).

Is it fine to ask for a raise when switching contracts for a company? Would I be crazy asking for a 15% raise? When talks get more serious about switching contracts, do you think I should send him an email with these bullet points trying to establish a reason for asking for that kind of a raise or just talk to him?

I would make a STRONG push for a raise. "Bosses" have a tendency to tell you whatever you want to hear to get you to accept or to keep you on board but when it comes time to write that check they often fail to hold up their end of the bargain. At the very least I would get the raise after a year in writing if you're willing to wait a year. I've been waiting on my "10K raise" for like 6 months.

This is a lack of respect on the employers part and I'm inclined not to deal with it ever again and even if they write me a check when I turn in my notice I'll still be turning in my notice.

EMPLOYERS: take note, empty promises don't work out for you in the long run. did you forget the cost of hiring and training people?
  • Options
    darkuserdarkuser Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    a raise >>>> ?????

that should be demand #1

then ask him to lop off a finger and pay for your ccie.

irrational postings like this is why people get stuck with people who
    say they can do the job but never pull through.
    because the people who truely meet the qualifications wouldnt touch it with
    a 6 million light year pole
    (i used that on an astrophysicist last week)
    who try'd
    to justify an insecure firewall hole.
    this is not a dig on you !!! just the situation
    if you want a good laugh
    look at something like tech jobs
    look at the "irrational" job posts
    smaller companys seems to demand the jack of all trades
    and larger companys look for more specialization

when i hit the it wall
    (making 40k when comparable tasks were making 80k)

you either have to take a stand or go somewhere else
    rm -rf /
  • Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Also, I don't know what technologies you are working with, but I'll ASSUME it's windows crap for this post.

8-12 hours a day
    shift work
    on call
    travel

If it is simple windows support i'm not doing it for a penny under $50K. This has the potential to monopolize your life. They better pay for it.

Just my nickel's worth man. Don't get rooked. If nothing else take it for what you make and start updating your resume with your new found skills. If they put you in this role with no money then you owe them nothing in terms of loyalty. Use them then lose them.

As I said earlier employers - its not that you can't keep people - its that you actively refuse to.
  • Options
    Again I'm happy with my salary with my current responsibilities. ;) So this isn't a "I'm underpaid, they want me to do more and not pay me for it" post.

I'm looking for advise on HOW to approach getting the raise when they want to change my job responsibilities when I'm make good money as it is.

You may learn something!
  • Options
    I asked for a raise. They went through all the motions of getting my raise completed.

However, they are still giving me a raise during my yearly review... When I was supposed to get a raise anyways. I just know the dollar figure now, about 7.6% which is great.

lol...

You may learn something!