Options

Email Issue

j938j938 Member Posts: 101
I am having a problem connecting to the exchange server from the outlook client using exchange over HTTP

I can connect to OWA fine and can connect internally fine as well.

This exchange server is a single sever.

The firewall hasn't been changed either.
IIS is working ok..

I looked at the properties for default website in IIS and viewed the certifiicate and it says its expired. would this be the reason why no outlook client arent able to connect outside the firewall

2003 exchange
2003 outlook
2003 server enviroment

Any help or suggestions please?
Growth is limited.

Comments

• Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    See? You troubleshot your own problem.

(Yes, it won't work if the cert is invalid for any reason.)
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    HeroPsycho wrote:
    See? You troubleshot your own problem.

(Yes, it won't work if the cert is invalid for any reason.)

so do I just renew it under the current certificate using the IIS Certificate Wizard and send request o online CA?
    Growth is limited.
  • Options
    Whatever it takes to get a valid cert on there...

Renew it...

Get a new one...

Doesn't matter.
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    Well thats renewed but that still didnt solve it ..

Has anyone else experience this issue?

basically can connect through OWA
    can connect through VPN using OUTLOOK
    but not able to connect using OUTLOOK using exhange over http when outside the network...

?????
    Growth is limited.
  • Options
    Is the RPC over HTTP proxy installed?

Does the client have the proper certificate installed?
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    Also I dont have to reboot or anything after the certificate is renewed do I?

Where do I locate to see if RPC over HTTP proxy installed? is this where you set it in system manager? if so then yes...

and yes the client has current cert.

Also this was all working fine until this certificate expired.
    Growth is limited.
  • Options
    You at the very least need to restart the Web site, although a complete reboot might be a good idea to be sure.
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It SHOULD work after restarting the web site.

If the RPC/HTTP proxy is on the same IIS site as your OWA installation, if you connect to https://<fqdn of your Exchange OWA server>/exchange, you should get prompted if it still thinks the certificate is expired.

I think, if you are using ISA as your firewall/application proxy, then you have to update the certificate there too, if you're using the forms based authentication in ISA.

What kind of cert are you using? Another thing that I have seen before is that a certificate in the CA chain becomes expired. I had a new Verisign cert, but kept having weird problems with RPC and Active Sync. It turned out that the "Local Computer" Certificates store on the Exchange server had an expired Verisign intermediate CA certificate in addition to an up to date one. The presence of the expired one caused the problems.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    blargoe wrote:
    It SHOULD work after restarting the web site.

If the RPC/HTTP proxy is on the same IIS site as your OWA installation, if you connect to https://<fqdn of your Exchange OWA server>/exchange, you should get prompted if it still thinks the certificate is expired.

I think, if you are using ISA as your firewall/application proxy, then you have to update the certificate there too, if you're using the forms based authentication in ISA.

What kind of cert are you using? Another thing that I have seen before is that a certificate in the CA chain becomes expired. I had a new Verisign cert, but kept having weird problems with RPC and Active Sync. It turned out that the "Local Computer" Certificates store on the Exchange server had an expired Verisign intermediate CA certificate in addition to an up to date one. The presence of the expired one caused the problems.

ok now since the update on that certificate OWA doesnt work and im not using a Isa as firewall using cisco device as my firewall.

??????
    Growth is limited.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    OK... you have to give a little more information that "doesn't work".

My suggestion is that you take the error messages and put them into the search engine at Microsoft's knowledge base http://support.microsoft.com and see what comes up.

Also msexchange.org is a good Exchange site and I'm sure they have some good tutorials on setting up a front-end server with certificates.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...