Options

Good Study Materials?

beegodeye7beegodeye7 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
What are some good, free study materials for this exam, other than the technotes on this site?
Brandon Carder, A+, Net+
Systems Engineer
SynchroNet Industries, Inc.

Comments

• Options
    2lazybutsmart2lazybutsmart Member Posts: 1,119
    I think you should invest in a book from MS press for this exam. (if u don't have one already). It certainly helps and it's worth it. You see, free material is usually helpful when you have study guides/trainking kits etc. Technotes on this site will help you zoom "out" and be able to focus on the big picture rather than on the details; whereas books go into the details.

Best of Luck
    2lbs.
    Exquisite as a lily, illustrious as a full moon,
    Magnanimous as the ocean, persistent as time.
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    I agree with 2lbs that if you don't have a book yet, you should probably go with the MS Press Training Kit. However entirely disagree with his comments about the TechNotes.

Although this doesn't apply to all TechNotes, we originally defined the term TechNotes as 'detailed summaries'. The TechNotes actually often include more details than many of the certification books out there. The TechNotes don't focus on the big picture and do not zoom out, they zoom in and focus on a particular area of the exam objectives. Think chapter of a book, but without the chit-chat and the repetitive info.

Nevertheless, they are not meant to be a primary source for study, they are meant to supplement a book/cbt/course/etc. This is because many certification books focus too much on the bigger picture but leave out many details required for the exam, or required for better understanding. If you cannot find it in the book, try the TechNotes, if it isn't in there, try the forums, or (to answer your original question):

- www.mcmcse.com
    - www.cramsession.com
    - www.certtutor.net
    - www.2000trainers.com
    - www.microsoft.com (product documentation, help files, resource kits, etc.)
  • Options
    JOblessELementJOblessELement Member Posts: 134
    The Sybex book and Que's Exam Cram 2 along with the notes on here and Preplogic/Transcender for practice tests is the combination I'm going with.

While preparing for the exam, I prefer to have a book sitting on the side (than on the machine itself) when I'm interacting with the system. So I haven't gone through all of the Technotes. But I really liked the Technotes on ADS and printing since Sybex doesn't cover either one too well. And I'm looking forward to the notes for Device and Drivers. *hint hint*
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    And I'm looking forward to the notes for Device and Drivers. *hint hint*
    I've started on that on a while ago, and put is aside because this:
    Implement, manage, and troubleshoot input and output (I/O) devices.
    - Monitor, configure, and troubleshoot I/O devices, such as printers, scanners, multimedia devices, mouse, keyboard, and smart card reader.
    - Monitor, configure, and troubleshoot multimedia hardware, such as cameras.
    - Install, configure, and manage modems.
    - Install, configure, and manage Infrared Data Association (IrDA) devices.
    - Install, configure, and manage wireless devices.
    - Install, configure, and manage USB devices.
    - Install, configure, and manage hand held devices.
    - Install, configure, and manage network adapters.
    was giving me a writer's block ;) but I started on it again a couple of days ago. Depending on how much time I have to spend to move our site to the new server, it should be ready somewhere late next week.

I'm actually hoping to finish all the TechNotes for the 70-270 exam (performance, networking, security, and devices and drivers.) before the end of next month, and combine them into a PDF file. But that there are a lot of things that may get in the way, so it may take several weeks longer. I'll also try to expand the practice exam with more questions in the meanwhile and after the PDF is done.
  • Options
    antonio banderasantonio banderas Member Posts: 102
    I find the Microsoft Press book kind of boring, but if I can pass with it, I'll read it cover to cover. I am uses these as my resources:

1. CBT Nuggetts 270
    2. Microsoft Press Book
    3. As many internet notes / study guides as I can read
    4. Microsoft Windows XP Objectives
    5. Plenty of Practice tests....

I obtaining my resources right now. Just printed out the technote...
    Network/Radiation Oncology Analyst III
  • Options
    kampungboykampungboy Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    yeah, the sybex book and the exam cram. The sybex book by itself is not enough as i learned from doing the practice exams. The exam cram book kinda reinforce and tells you about other stuff the sybex book didn't cover. (one good eg, the shadow volume copy). I recommend reading these two. You can cover more bases with it. I just passed that last week so i know.