Options

File permissions question...

/usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
Is it possible to set up permissions on a file/folder which deny the ability to save it anywhere but where it originates, or even broader, which deny the ability to save to that individuals C: drive.

They must have the ability to save the file and denying them access to write to the C: drive period is out of the question. I only want them to be able to save the file in the directory or on the network drive which it was created.

Any suggestions would be nice. It doesnt HAVE to be through file permission settings. Any tweak, script, program, etc., that you think of, just let me know. Thanks a lot in advance.

Comments

• Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Interesting. I wouldn't know any 'script' or anything for this. But it won't work using the available types of permissions. As long as they have Read permission on a file, they can save it anywhere they have Write permissions. Perhaps you should be looking for something that denies file copies, which should include denying read-here/save-there ;)

Good luck, and let us know if you find out something yourself.
  • Options
    /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    The systems admin here wrote a small script or program in VB which accomplishes it, but I think it's just a pain to use. It's a lot of code to accomplish the task. It's not something that's NEEDED, but wanted to keep people from taking files which everyone needs, then updating them on their HD. icon_rolleyes.gif