Options

Is it a late start?

coffeekingcoffeeking Member Posts: 305 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hello all,

I just officialy started my IT career as a Jr. ISO last week. I also started a post describing my first day at job. Things look exciting. I have been meeting people around and finding out stuff. One guy in my department is a big time techie, he has got CCIE and all the other big security certs and he is only 32.

I am 28, it just makes me wonder if it is a late start. Here are some of my questions to the experts in field.

1- is it too late to start your IT career at 28?

2- how much does age really matter?

3- what is the right age to start your IT career? I see a lot of people in real young age getting a start on thier IT careers.

Please note that I spent a lot of time getting my Bsc in IT, but I never was able to work in IT industry during all that time.

Your take on this?

Comments

• Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Better late than never man. Don't sweat it. Work hard. You'll be fine.
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Age doesn't matter, as long as you like what I'm doing. I'm 21 & I just entered the IT world. icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    livenliven Member Posts: 918
    Your level of success and progress is entirely up to you.

Set realistic goals and push your self to attain them.

There are tons of examples of people starting things later in their lives, and become massively successful.

And to be honest 28 is pretty young, when you look at the length of time your professional career will span. You will probably work till your 65 or so.

This gives you 37 years in the industry. I am sure you will be an expert on many facets of computers by the time you retire. You will also be involved in the beginning stages of future computing that are not even imagined yet.

Strap your self in for a crazy fun ride.
    encrypt the encryption, never mind my brain hurts.
  • Options
    thanks for your input guys. make me feel better. you are right it is never late get on to something that you like to do and it better to be late then never. I am usually a positive thinker and feel better after reading you guy's posts.
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I officially started my IT career and obtained my first certification at age 30, and that was 10 years ago. In many ways, my age became an advantage as managers and customers seemed more comfortable and trusting of a 30 year old than a 20 year old. You also bring in whatever other skills you have and can be more rounded. The fact that I had been an electrician for 12 years and dealt with customers and was able to work w/o supervision were plusses.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    I am hoping the same will happen for me. I have about 7 years of retail and customer service experience, and that I think could be a plus in communicating with people, since I had to deal with customers all day for last few years.

Sounds positive. Lets hope it stays that way.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,566 Mod
    since we don't know when we gonna die, then we never know when it is too late...start and have as much fun as you can..
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    coffeeking wrote:
    I am hoping the same will happen for me. I have about 7 years of retail and customer service experience, and that I think could be a plus in communicating with people, since I had to deal with customers all day for last few years.

Sounds positive. Lets hope it stays that way.

My customer service experience (food service & retail) are what landed me the job I have now. The only experience I had prior was school, and only about 7 months of it too. :)
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You could also have a CCIE at only 32. 4 years isn't an unreasonable time line for that. It depends on how much you want it and how hard you are willing to work for it.
  • Options
    livenliven Member Posts: 918
    dynamik wrote:
    You could also have a CCIE at only 32. 4 years isn't an unreasonable time line for that. It depends on how much you want it and how hard you are willing to work for it.

+1

Talent = desire

desire = hardwork

Work your @ss of for a while in and out of the office and folks will say

"Boy you know that fella is pretty talented. lets hire him for lots of money"

Will it happen over knight. No, when will it happen? Who knows you will have to tell us, and then we can support you along the way!
    encrypt the encryption, never mind my brain hurts.
  • Options
    pookerpooker Member Posts: 129 ■■□□□□□□□□
    No man its never to late to start infact you sound like your about the age where alot of people enter.

If your curious here is the age group in my class

Me - 19
    student - 19
    student - 32
    student - 43
    student - 24
    student 29

And few of us even have experience you are on the right track, you are already getting experience which is more than most people. Sounds like your doing good !
    I wanna be ccie
  • Options
    NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    It's never too late to start, especially if you think computers are your calling. It's a long journey.

I'm 28 and have been a network admin for 5 years. Up until a year ago, i only had my degree and no certs. This past year I decided to get off my butt and get some certs. I got my network+, security+, and A+ in less than a year. Your in a good position with a new IT job, so I'd soak up as much knowledge as you can in your new position. That will make it much more easy when you decide to tackle any certs.

I wouldn't stress over thinking you need a certain cert by such and such date. Remember, if you win the rat race....your still a rat.
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)