Options

Computer's can't print to networked printer.

ZoomerZoomer Member Posts: 126
We have a Savin 2055 printer/copier and every so often no one will be able to print to it. I can still ping it and the other computers can see it, but every job sent to it won't go through and an error will pop up saying failed to print. Sometimes I can reboot the printer and it will work, other times I just wait and it will start working. Anyone know of anything that might be happening?

Comments

• Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The user trying to print to it may need to restart their print spooler.
  • Options
    I tried that, but it still didn't work. I also reinstalled the driver, still didn't work. Restarted printer again, it worked to print a test page, then got errors afterwards. What else could be wrong?
  • Options
    RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Try printing directly to the printer instead of spooling the jobs. That should at least eliminate spooler related issues if it fails.
  • Options
    Ok, it seems to be working now. It's so annoying that it does that, and it always happens at the most inopportune times.
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You could have a driver issue and need to change drivers, not just reinstall.
    Do you have a print server that hosts one central queue and all other clients connect to it?
    You may need a firmware update on your printer.
    Are there any other printers with the same model in your company that you could check the drivers with?
    Did anything change when this started happening?
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Do you have a lot of users that print to this printer?
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Maybe the printer needs more memory
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    About 6 people print to it. This only seems to happen with this particular printer. I can't even print to it from the server. It's possible it could be the drivers. Last time this happened was last month, so it's not like it happens all the time it's just that when it does it's always at the wrong time and I get yelled at. icon_wink.gif

But after I restarted it, reinstalled the drivers, then waited a few minutes it started working again. It's kind of annoying when it happens.
  • Options
    KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Maybe it's just a bad printer. Is that the only one they use?
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I have had similar problems at my work too. It's best to replace the PCL drivers with PS ones. Most problems relating to printers go away with PS drivers. Dont know exactly why, but makes life easier ! What more can an IT guy want?? Give PS drivers a shot...
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I have had similar problems at my work too. It's best to replace the PCL drivers with PS ones. Most problems relating to printers go away with PS drivers. Dont know exactly why, but makes life easier ! What more can an IT guy want?? Give PS drivers a shot...
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com