Options

MCSE 2003 all exams passed by just reading MSCE books?

itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
hey i met this guy today who passed 8 MCSE 2003 exams by just reading the MS press books.
he made no labs period....so he said...I believe him he seemed honest... and he and I were talking about
port 3389 in RDP and if it was secure or not?

I even asked him about GLobal Security Groups, Domain Local etc handnt a clue!

oh my gosh. I know I could not passs the exams without decent hands on and book and lab example tests....but what am I missing. I am no dummy but how can this be??

Comments

• Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Perhaps he just acquired the knowledge long enough to pass the exams, but never applied it so it went by the board.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    itdaddy wrote:
    hey i met this guy today who passed 8 MCSE 2003 exams by just reading the MS press books.
    he made no labs period....so he said...I believe him he seemed honest... and he and I were talking about
    port 3389 in RDP and if it was secure or not?

I even asked him about GLobal Security Groups, Domain Local etc handnt a clue!

oh my gosh. I know I could not passs the exams without decent hands on and book and lab example tests....but what am I missing. I am no dummy but how can this be??

My friend, you have had an encounter with a 'Paper MCSE'

I had an instructor such as this fellow. I brought up IPv6 one day in class, and he told me there was no such thing.... icon_rolleyes.gif
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I believe someone that can pass this exam without doing actual lab is plain paper tiger. He can memorize a bunch of things no problem, I don't know how one can memorize a bunch of stuff without understanding it, it looks harder, wonder how one will do with subnetting, well there's only like about 2 questions in 291 exam pertaining to it, so I guess it's possible just believe icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif .
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    what kind of experience did the guy have?

What were his thoughts on RDP being secure?
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    ajs1976 (spelling sucks due to writing too fast ;hee hee)

I think this guys is intelligent infact he and I were chumming but man I asked him some MCSE questions I had doubts about and he had no clue! And I can tell by looking at his face
    He took 8 exams 2 of them SQL..He knows SQL well. But the rest. I had asked him if he
    ever created DNS or DC or IIS or SSL for OWA and stuff like that he never did.
    He worked a little with some stuff but admitted he has not done much with AD..Man
    i thought not done much and GPO and AD man that is Microsoft. I work with this stuff all the time. And I know I woiuld not pass the exams cause I think to much like Robert (me)
    I have a lot of common sense so when I take exam you have to do it Microsoft way.

but I was even more shocked that he thought RDP 3389 was a secure connection.
    I just about ($hhit)myself. I said yuo have never done RDP over SSH or VNC over SSH or telnet over SSH? holy crap I thought. he was honest. Nor has he ever created an HTTPS site
    with IIS server.

I am just pissed off. If MSoft would just let me build a system say for example in a certain amount of time vs stupid small sims ect..i could do it! and even TS it if need be, but sucks that
    we all have to be books worms to pass their exams...but I next year will be working on my MCSA once I get my CCNA and my BS degree out of way. but I hate and love Microsoft.
    But when you really meat a guy who went through these exams and you know more about GPO and AD and DNS and DHCP and etc than he does, makes me sick!

you had to be there. So that always reminds me of a time when I was in the US Air Force.

I was an Aerospace technician. we took care of (maint) of equipment that ran the planes
    while they were grounded. for exampleto move the flaps you had to have a hyrdraulic system runnin and that means either have the jets going (not good) or have a wheeled subsystem
    handy. well i maintained all of that whether electrical, hydraulic, pneumatic etc... and loved the
    variety. I did good in school i got 93.75 GPA in school but this guy who almost Aced every exam got like 99.6 average. But that last exam I beat him by 2 points he was pissed. but

what the funny things was he and i were both stationed in UK Upper heyford. He and I were friends, but come to find out after 2 months of OJT he could not do any work on the actuall
    equipment so he remained in supply and handed out parts. I was floored.

So is it possible for people to memorize or undertand written situations and then cannot do the work. I was flying around this MCSE 2003 guy with my knowledge of Microsoft (except SQL he had me beat since that was his job and why he was at our job site) but man I know MS way better than him and just pisses me off! he would get a job higher than me but I can do the work.
    and he took exams!$$$$hit...this will always piss me off but i will stilll get my certs in MS just
    when you see it first hand you just are blown away!!

itdaddy
  • Options
    ajs1976

he had no clue what a tunneling was? not sure if MCSE mentions tunneling maybe not
    but to think that 3389 was secure...man they must mention its somewherein MCSE
    that it is not! I would assume they do! I know by playing 24/8.hahaha

I think this guys had knowledge and he was smart but could not use it as much
    as you would think. I dont expect to have everyone remember everything
    but GPO, AD, DNS, DHCP, and IIS i expect you to do that! I can do it and am not certified in it.
    you would think MCSE 2003 could! just pissed at the whole system. I am serious thinking
    on just gettinmy MCSA in SQL and Exchange 2003 and then focus all on Cisco
    and screw MS anymore....they change every 3 years or more often than I change my TP in my bathroom! hahaha too much changing all the time where Cisco changes but remains same GREAT!

i only want and MCSE for the knowledge and exposure to understand other things...
    okay i am done grrrrrrr! hahah
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    One bad apple doesn't spoil the whole tree. Don't worry, be happy.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    Tyrant1919Tyrant1919 Member Posts: 519 ■■■□□□□□□□
    That's what I would call a "7 test pest"™
    A+/N+/S+/L+/Svr+
    MCSA:03/08/12/16 MCSE:03s/EA08/Core Infra
    CCNA