InterVLAN Routing w/ 3750 L3 Switch

IT ManIT Man Member Posts: 159
Greetings,

I hope I am posting this in the correct area. I do have my CCNA and I know that routing on the stick was the only VLAN routing that was discussed so here goes.....

I am having an issue with routing on my 3750 switch. I turned on routing with the "ip routing" command and confirmed it was enable by doing a "show run" command. I then created several VLAN's and assigned each of them an IP address and subnet mask. I then assigned the appropriate interfaces to the desired vlans. I did put in the "show vlan brief" command to confirm that the interfaces were in the correct VLAN's. At this point, I took a few workstations and assigned them a static IP in the same subnet as the VLANs they were attached too but I was unable to ping anything. When I ran the "show ip interface brief" command I saw all but one vlan read status up but protocol down. I am stumped and to why this occurred. I am hoping this is something simple that I overlooked. Any assistance or suggestions would be very appreciated.

Thanks
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll still land among the stars. - Les Brown

Comments

• tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    IT Man wrote:
    Greetings,

I hope I am posting this in the correct area. I do have my CCNA and I know that routing on the stick was the only VLAN routing that was discussed so here goes.....

I am having an issue with routing on my 3750 switch. I turned on routing with the "ip routing" command and confirmed it was enable by doing a "show run" command. I then created several VLAN's and assigned each of them an IP address and subnet mask. I then assigned the appropriate interfaces to the desired vlans. I did put in the "show vlan brief" command to confirm that the interfaces were in the correct VLAN's. At this point, I took a few workstations and assigned them a static IP in the same subnet as the VLANs they were attached too but I was unable to ping anything. When I ran the "show ip interface brief" command I saw all but one vlan read status up but protocol down. I am stumped and to why this occurred. I am hoping this is something simple that I overlooked. Any assistance or suggestions would be very appreciated.

Thanks

IT Man,

Did you verify that the access switchports aren't in a "shutdown" state?
  • APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    show vlans

if the vlans haven't been created in the vlan database the SVI's are always going to be up/down...........

use 'vlan (ID)' in global config mode to enter the VLANs into the VLAN database..... Give them a name as well so easy to distinguish when you do use the show vlans

:D

Hope this helps

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP
  • IT ManIT Man Member Posts: 159
    tech-airmain

The switchports are not shutdown.

a.p.a.

Here is a copy of the config I used to create the vlans:

conf t
    vlan 10
    name Student
    exit
    vlan 20
    name Staff
    exit
    vlan 30
    name Server
    exit
    vlan 40
    name Admin
    exit
    vlan 50
    name Pseudo-Net
    exit
    Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll still land among the stars. - Les Brown
  • rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    hi it man,

did you have cables plugged to the switch?
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.
  • Chris KnightChris Knight Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Any chance that you didn't set the default gateway correct to the SVI address on the hosts?

Any access lists preventing echo requests?
    "Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, when he said, "I drank what?"
    Chris Knight
    Real Genius
  • APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    so you have SVI's matching those very VLAN's right???

eg

interface vlan 10
    desc ***Student**
    ip address 10.10.10.1 255.255.255.0
    no shut
    !
    interface vlan 20
    desc ****Staff*****
    ip address 10.10.20.1 255.255.255.0
    no shut

IP addressing is just for explanation purposes........ Can you show your interfae config as well..... VLAN database config looks fine......

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP
  • Chris KnightChris Knight Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Are the hosts using windows xp by any chance? Make sure that stupid firewall is turned off or you allow the echo requests to come through.
    "Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, when he said, "I drank what?"
    Chris Knight
    Real Genius
  • waruwaru Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi IT man,

Can you post the config for the switchports themselves?

Cheers
    waru
  • IT ManIT Man Member Posts: 159
    Greetings All,

I am sorry for not replying sooner as I was at work when I sent my original question and was unable to respond. I just ended up deleting and adding the VLANs all back again and for some reason, this time it worked. I assume I must have missed a step in the config somewhere. I just wanted to thank you all for taking the time to offer your wisdom. I am pretty new to the site but it does seem like a nice place to get some information when needed.

Thanks again,

:D