Options

annoynig xp problem

billybob01billybob01 Member Posts: 504
i have noticed that my pc started to playup recently and now it only boots up after turning it on and off for about 6 times, when i eventually started the pc up i decided to re-install the os but it still freezes on boot up, you have to start it up about 6 times before it boots up, has anyone come across this before? i have tried replacing the memory, but the fault remains.

Comments

• Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    bad board or PSU?
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Motherboard or PSU.

edit: nm icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    billybob01 wrote:
    i have noticed that my pc started to playup recently and now it only boots up after turning it on and off for about 6 times, when i eventually started the pc up i decided to re-install the os but it still freezes on boot up, you have to start it up about 6 times before it boots up, has anyone come across this before? i have tried replacing the memory, but the fault remains.

How far does the computer get when you turn it on? Does it get past the post and then show an error message or does it not even start the Post? The problem could be the Power Supply but sounds more like the motherboard to me. But if you are getting past the POST and but the OS won't load or the computer freezes after ahile it may be a bad hard drive but sounds more like a mobo issue.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    I'd Run a memcheck, or bad capacitors!

edit: didn't see that he replaced the memory.
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Depends where is it freezing, during POST or after the hand-off to the OS? My first suspicion is a failing controller on the board from your description. It could also be power supply related. Memcheck wouldn't be a bad idea but it is probably not memory related. Make sure your ide/sata and power cables are secure. Also a possibility of it being a problem with the hard drive, but much more likely to be the controller or power supply.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    billybob01billybob01 Member Posts: 504
    it gets as far as the first screen that shows the ATI logo and down below the writing "Press Delete to enter setup"
  • Options
    hettyhetty Member Posts: 394
    Could try a different cpu also, but as others have said motherboard would be most probable. Any beep codes?
  • Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    After you reinstall OS, and still happening. Then most like (90%) of chance is the MB or PSU. It happened to Dell computer all the time and specially the GX series.

Bad design on the MB...!
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    bad board or PSU?
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Question, if you leave it where it sits during post and just leave it there for 5-10 minutes will it complete post and boot or will it still just sit there?

If it moves on after 5-10 minutes you could have a bad usb device, or a bad usb port.

If it does not move on and it still just hangs there then most likely it would be the motherboard, next most likely is the psu, and finally it could be the hard drive itself. Best way to find out is try the psu in another computer and if that computer has no issues after a barrage of boots the psu should be ok. Then try the hard drive in another computer and if it works fine after a number of different boots, then I would replace the motherboard. Alternatively if another computer is unavailable disconnect power from everything except the motherboard and hard drive, and the video card if it needs power. Also unplug all usb devices.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    In my opinion at this point I doubt it is the Power Supply, it is most likely the motherboard. Especially if it is a Dell OptiPlex GX2XX icon_lol.gif
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • Options
    ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would say firstly check out what the CPU temps are hitting in the BIOS that would eliminate a overheating issue.

Secondly memtest the ram to eliminate a potential issue

Thirdly try booting up a live cd of Linux and see if the machine is responsive.

If you can get into the machine withing a live environment then you could be looking at a potential hard disk issue which could either be drive failure or a corrupt MBR,

You could aslo disconnect the drives one by one and power on the machine this is a good way of narrowing the problem down. Could be a faulty ide or sata cable or drive in general.

I would also consider swapping out the supply what is the spec of the machine and what is the output of the supply your running?

If all the above fails and your machine is still struggling to boot I would say a Faulty ide controller / or Sata controller could be a culprit which means it could be time for a m/b replacement.

Happy detective work!
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • Options
    ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Forgot to mention also you could try a XP repair installation that might resolve the issue especially if it's a problem with the MBR / NTLDR

I have had a few problems in the past which I have resolved by carrying out a repair install.
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "