Raid 0

jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
I created a Raid 0 using two WD Raptor hard drive, apparently when I installed Windows Server 2003 64 Bit it assigned Drive Letter F:, I attempted to see if I'm able to change it via Disk Management but unable to, I'm trying to find steps on how to re-assign it to Drive Letter C:, instead of reinstalling the OS.

Comments

• hettyhetty Member Posts: 394
    A dual-boot setup?
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I take it that you have another disk in the computer somewhere that got assigned drive C?

I don't know of a way to do what you're asking
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    If this is the host drive for the OS you can change it in the registry but it will end up screwing up a whole lot more than it fixes. Your better bet is to just do a reinstall and make sure nothing is taking precedence so that it is assigned drive letter C. Or to just live with it. If you're really wanting steps on how to change this I'm sure I have the information around here somewhere ...

EDIT:

Found it: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223188
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Nah just a stripped Disk 0 and Disk 1 in Raid 0.

I would assume that your not easily able to change the assigned Drive Letter, since it will mess up a lot of configuration, such as boot.ini which points to the drive that holds the OS.

But I wanted to find out if there is a method to change it.
    undomiel wrote:
    If this is the host drive for the OS you can change it in the registry but it will end up screwing up a whole lot more than it fixes. Your better bet is to just do a reinstall and make sure nothing is taking precedence so that it is assigned drive letter C. Or to just live with it. If you're really wanting steps on how to change this I'm sure I have the information around here somewhere ...

This was the case, the media card in the monitor was taking Drive Letter C, but for some reason Windows did not by default assigned C: usually, on when I run a setup as soon as I finish it, it re-assigned Drive Letter C, seems it didn't do it this time on Raid 0.
    Microsoft did it again :P well thanks so much for the input guys, I'm pretty sure there's a way to change this, and I'm also sure that it will be a tedious process and prone to errors.
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Yep, those card readers love to gunk things up. :) I disconnected them during installs.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
    undomiel wrote:
    Yep, those card readers love to gunk things up. :) I disconnected them during installs.

Good point!