Options

drive mapping "acess denied" happening randomly

SmallguySmallguy Member Posts: 597
Hi

I have one user where I work who randomly has issues with mapped drives. that are done Via a log on script in the profiles tab of his user properties.

sometimes when he logs on and tries to access any of the drives on \\server he gets access denied

same behavior for all of his mapped drives too.

I get the same error message when I go to start > run and type \\server

we've tried deleting his local profile and deleting and recreating his his AD account as well

the cabling at the site was not up to par so we replaced that and replaced the old switch with a managed HP one and we see no errors in it either.

to get it working you have to reboot the PC until it works sometimes this will take 10 tries

he works different shifts and it does; not seem to be any more or less prevelant on any of the shifts

I'm at a loss currently and so are the rest of the peopel I work with

we are using SBS 2003 and windows XP sP2 clients

any ideas ?

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Look for clues in the event log on his machine and the server.
  • Options
    whistlerwhistler Member Posts: 108
    Sounds like the GPO is not updating on his PC. The event log should show this.

I have seen similar in the past at work.
  • Options
    KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sorry for the off-topic post, but at what point do GPOs get applied? Are they applied during the boot process or during user authentication? icon_wink.gif
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • Options
    SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    Have you checked if he is logged on with Domain or Local account?

Could be problems contacting the DC....

Do you have just the one DC? just thinking if account details havent replicated across to one DC and he authnticates against this then it wont work, seen this happen a couple of times.

KG - GPO's are applied when the computer starts or when a user logs on depending on where the GPO is assigned.
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • Options
    gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    GPOs are also refreshed after boot after certain intervals. I forget what the default is, but its customizable. You can also force an update with the gpupdate /force command. If you think its a group policy issue you can also run gpresult on the user/computer in the GPMC
  • Options
    SmallguySmallguy Member Posts: 597
    He is logging in with his domain account that has been confirmed

I checked the server logs last night and could not find anything out of the ordinary and no errors during the period of time he was logging on

I tried to connect to the PC to view the even logs on it but it is shut off

Yes we do have more than one DC , two to be specific. I looked at te events log on the main server and it appears that he he is authenticating off of it

hopefully I'll be able to see the logs on his PC today for more indepth info
  • Options
    SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    Sorry what I meant is when he logs in with his domain credentials is it authenticating against the DC and logging him into the domain or is it logging him in with his domain credentials into a local profile (ie using cached credentials)

Check documents & settings folder / Users on his PC and see if theres any local accounts for him.

Im just thinking logon scripts and GPO's arnt aways completed or applied 100% due to slow / unresponsive network.

But first stop should be the PC Event Logs.

Oh as an after thought its not anything to do with cached network passwords on his client?
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • Options
    paintb4707paintb4707 Member Posts: 420
    Does this occur if he logs onto another machine?

If not, try re-joining to the domain.