Options

How much is too much?

paintb4707paintb4707 Member Posts: 420
Well, turns out I'll be graduating much sooner than I had thought. Originally my estimated graduation date was December, but I recently found out that I can graduate in August.

What's great about this is I was told to be expecting a raise when I graduate. Currently I'm making 30k/yr as an Admin. They hired me with only 7 months of help desk experience which was an awesome opportunity for me to break into the admin side so early in the game. I've been there roughly 5 months now. When August rolls around that will bring me to 9 months, which isn't exactly a whole lot.

Now my question is, I intend to ask for anywhere between 45k to 50. I understand that salaries are all relative to experience, responsibility, and location. I feel that my experience may not be a whole lot but my responsibilities are very high considering that the productivity of the company lies on my shoulders, just like any other admin. As for my location, I know several people working on a help desk doing internal support making between 44k and 50. As we all know the responsibilities for such a position is typically much lower. Especially when you're working on a team opposed to being a single IT man for an entire organization.

Now let me start by telling you what I have done for my company. When I started, they had two little non-RAID tower servers. One being an Exchange server that did just about everything... it was also a DC and served DNS and DHCP. The second being a SQL/file server. They didn't even have a disaster recovery plan, daily tape backups of the file server but not a single backup to be found for Exchange. After my employment things have changed dramatically. I have personally implemented over 50k worth of technical projects, re-designing their non-existent disaster recovery plan by enforcing image-based backups for quick recovery, increased server availability both with Double-Take (thanks to the suggestions of this forum) and by migrating the DC/DNS/DHCP role off of the Exchange server, upgraded to rack servers to save space and with increased redundancy (RAID 5 and dual PSUs). Off-site storage was also non-existent as they have been maintained by a consultant previously, but this has changed as well now that we have online backups to a redundant data-center. Let me tell you, we now have 7 servers and it probably won't end there.

Additionally, I assessed our spending on voice and data and discovered that we were paying $3500/mo for services that weren't even being used half way. We were paying for a package of 7mbit data and 50k minutes of voice. Turns out we only use 2mbit on a daily basis and only 10k voice minutes a month. Now also realizing that we have a very confusing and aged phone system (Nortel meridians) that was maintained by a Lightpath individual who only wished to work after 5pm. This was very difficult, having to call someone in every time we want to change any configuration or move/add a phone. To make a long story short, I worked with some consultants and introduced a new and easy to use phone system that is managed completely in-house (by me) and at the same time saving $1500 a month by cutting down to a cheaper data and voice plan.

Here's the final question... Am I asking too much?

Comments

• Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    You have indeed done some good work and gotten invaluable experience. I was in a similar situation a couple of years ago.

Long story short...ask for the raise. If you dont get a hefty bump on your next performance review (yearly), then its time to start looking.

As a business model, some companies would rather turn over inexperienced cheaper labor than pay out the money to keep an experienced person around. Thats just a business decision you cant take personally. You just have to recognize it and do something about it.
  • Options
    mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you can prove that you have added considerable value to the company and will continue to do so by independent proactive initiatives, then I don't see why you wouldn't get what you ask for. A lot of it has to do with how you ask for it. Set the expectations, lay the foundation, and then go for the money shot! :) Best of luck to you dude!
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    paintb4707 wrote:
    Well, turns out I'll be graduating much sooner than I had thought. Originally my estimated graduation date was December, but I recently found out that I can graduate in August.

What's great about this is I was told to be expecting a raise when I graduate. Currently I'm making 30k/yr as an Admin. They hired me with only 7 months of help desk experience which was an awesome opportunity for me to break into the admin side so early in the game. I've been there roughly 5 months now. When August rolls around that will bring me to 9 months, which isn't exactly a whole lot.

Now my question is, I intend to ask for anywhere between 45k to 50. I understand that salaries are all relative to experience, responsibility, and location. I feel that my experience may not be a whole lot but my responsibilities are very high considering that the productivity of the company lies on my shoulders, just like any other admin. As for my location, I know several people working on a help desk doing internal support making between 44k and 50. As we all know the responsibilities for such a position is typically much lower. Especially when you're working on a team opposed to being a single IT man for an entire organization.

Now let me start by telling you what I have done for my company. When I started, they had two little non-RAID tower servers. One being an Exchange server that did just about everything... it was also a DC and served DNS and DHCP. The second being a SQL/file server. They didn't even have a disaster recovery plan, daily tape backups of the file server but not a single backup to be found for Exchange. After my employment things have changed dramatically. I have personally implemented over 50k worth of technical projects, re-designing their non-existent disaster recovery plan by enforcing image-based backups for quick recovery, increased server availability both with Double-Take (thanks to the suggestions of this forum) and by migrating the DC/DNS/DHCP role off of the Exchange server, upgraded to rack servers to save space and with increased redundancy (RAID 5 and dual PSUs). Off-site storage was also non-existent as they have been maintained by a consultant previously, but this has changed as well now that we have online backups to a redundant data-center. Let me tell you, we now have 7 servers and it probably won't end there.

Additionally, I assessed our spending on voice and data and discovered that we were paying $3500/mo for services that weren't even being used half way. We were paying for a package of 7mbit data and 50k minutes of voice. Turns out we only use 2mbit on a daily basis and only 10k voice minutes a month. Now also realizing that we have a very confusing and aged phone system (Nortel meridians) that was maintained by a Lightpath individual who only wished to work after 5pm. This was very difficult, having to call someone in every time we want to change any configuration or move/add a phone. To make a long story short, I worked with some consultants and introduced a new and easy to use phone system that is managed completely in-house (by me) and at the same time saving $1500 a month by cutting down to a cheaper data and voice plan.

I think you are worth a raise. You are doing really well there and gaining a lot of valuable experience. It sounds like the company are supportive of all your efforts. The separation of roles in your MS network was good, did you research the necessary there or have any help with that?
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    sounds like you def deserve a rise but i usually find companies will not give someone a massive bumper pay rise - they usually do it in small steps. so just to warn you that this might be the case in your situation. and they will prob use your experiance as a reason so.

but i hope they give you what you deserve but sadly you know what many companies are like
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    paintb4707paintb4707 Member Posts: 420
    Thanks a lot for the support guys. Relatives and other non-IT buddies have been telling me I'd be crazy to ask for such a huge bump. I feel a lot better now.

Turgon wrote:
    paintb4707 wrote:

I think you are worth a raise. You are doing really well there and gaining a lot of valuable experience. It sounds like the company are supportive of all your efforts. The separation of roles in your MS network was good, did you research the necessary there or have any help with that?

I'm the sole IT guy so it was all research. We were having issues that would only occur on a promoted Exchange server and the fact that we had a single point of failure didn't please me.
  • Options
    ScottFernScottFern Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am in a very similar situation to yours and I am having the same dilemma. I just recently got my MCSE paid for by my company and and have been in my current admin role for 18 months as the sole IT admin in my office. I am actually in a remote location and I administer 80 dekstops and 12 servers. Now, I did not have as much freedom as you did with changing the infrastructure, but I am ultimately responsible for the servers and keeping the call center up and running.

Now, I am making the same salary as you, and my review is in September and I wanted to ask for 40k, but I have no idea what their response is going to be to that. It is an awkward situation because we have both stepped up to the plate, helped save the company lots of money, but we have not seen the gratitude in our paychecks.

I think the big part for me is getting the title System Administrator, and with that title I use the salary calculator on networkworld.com to see if I am even in the same ball park as what they offer me.
  • Options
    motogpmanmotogpman Member Posts: 412
    Try looking at Salary.com, I used them as a refernce point at my currrent employer. The main thing is that given your indepth explaination, take those figures with you in the meeting ( even if in your head). I would make them commit first that you did make these changes and the hard numbers prove the fact as well as how you saved them. Also, if you were to look at the total monthly operating expenses you HELPED them save, they could at least take a chunk of that amount and compensate you in pay, if they don't, then I would suggest it is time you look else where. It's just business and if they can't value your position after being there, it's not like you are fresh off the street and they don't know how you work/skillset, then would you really want to stay there anyways?

Man, I am glad I live in the south, you guys are way underpaid and the cost of living is generally higher up north...... Those salary ranges are for starting desktop support in this area. Good luuck and as someone pointed out, don't take it personal, look at it as getting paid for experience if things don't pan out and move on if need be. icon_wink.gif
    -WIP- (70-294 and 297)

Once MCSE 2k3 completed:

WGU: BS in IT, Design/Management

Finish MCITP:EA, CCNA, PMP by end of 2012

After that, take a much needed vacation!!!!!
  • Options
    AlexMRAlexMR Member Posts: 275
    I am in a totally different field but i think it applies to any. I recently took a not so bad paid job for the majority but not so good for the things i am expected to be doing in the next few weeks. I would say I am underpaid by around 30%. The good part is that I hava a lot of new things to learn and promises of big salaries in the not so far future.

The thing is as a couple have said already, employers usually dont give a huge jump when it comes to pay salaries. You see big earnings jumps by employees when they move to another company: Another company knows about what you are doing and gives you 50K. In my case, i feel the low salary was a bad start that threatens my permanence in the company in the long term.

Your degree opens a lot of possibilities as you are now in a position to become a master in whatever field a company is interested (i.e an MBA, MPM,etc). I dont think 50K is too much for the responsibilities you are describing and it sounds like you are up to new challenges (new responsibilities thatr should translate into more $$$$).

The bad thing is that if i were you i wouldnt be expecting such a raise from your current employer. Check salary.com and dont be afraid to ask.for the average in your region even if it means a 20K/year, or a 70% raise that is unlikely to be given. The very few people i know who have got a massive raise by their employees are people who werent afraid of letting them know they were close to be satisfied with their incomes. The bad side is that it lets them realize you are trying to find something better and they might replace you before you can get a new job, although because of the nature of your job (sole IT guy) that would take some time.

Good luck and let us know what you got :D.
    Training/Studying for....CCNP (BSCI) and some MS.