error adding users using csvde

mishymishy Member Posts: 209 ■■■□□□□□□□
I am attempting to import two user obects using CSVDE on a book exercise for
managing and maintaining a Microsoft Server 2003 environment. The textbook
instructed me to type the following information in notepad, creating 3 lines
of text.

DN,objectClass,sAMAccountName,sn,givenName,userPri ncipleName

Doe,OU=Employees,DC=contoso,DC=com",user,jdoe,Doe, John,

"CN=George Brown,OU=Employees,
DC=contoso,DC=com",user,gbrown,Brown,George,george .

Nex, I am instructed to save the file as "C:\USERS.CSV"
Next, I open the command prompt and type the following:
csvde -i -f c:\users.csv
I get the following response:

Connecting to "(null)"
Logging in as current user using SSPI
Importing directory using file "c:\users.csv"
Loading entries
Add error on line 2: No such Attribute
The server side error is "The parameter is incorrect."
0 entries modified successfully.
An error has occurred in the program.
No log files were written. In order to create a log file, use the -j option.

Can someone help me figure out how to correct the problem?


  • mishymishy Member Posts: 209 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have now the command managed to get the command prompt to say complete but I cannot find the user objects in AD

    this is the message I am getting

    Connecting to "(null)"
    Logging in as current user using SSPI
    Importing directory from file "c:\users.csv"
    Loading entries
    0 entries modified successfully

    The command has completed successfully

    My problem is when I go to the active directory I cannot find the user accounts I have created and its obvious they would not be there because of the 0 entries modified message I am getting.

    This how I have typed the notepad file

    "CN=Danielle Tiedt,
    OU=Employees, DC=contoso,DC=com",user,dtiedt,Tiedt,Danielle,

    "CN=Lorrin Smith-Bates,
    OU=Employees, DC=contoso,DC-com",user,lsmithbates,Smith-Bates,Lorrin,

    and i have saved it as "C:\USERS.CSV"
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What OU did you create the users accounts in? Did you right click the domain, click find, and type the user you created in the search field?

    If you find the user don't forget to turn Advanced Options on so you can see the Object tab which shows you what OU your user is in.
    My blog

    You may learn something!
  • mishymishy Member Posts: 209 ■■■□□□□□□□
    sorry I will only be able to work on computer tommorrow but do you think I will be able to find the users even though the command prompt is saying that 0 entries modified. I have looked on the internet for possible solutions and seems like most people have experienced similar problems when studying for the 70-290 exam using the MS-Press, most of the websites want you to pay to view the answers.
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Make sure that your DN is all on one line, not broken into multiple lines like your post. And make sure you do not have a trailing whitespace after DN,objectClass,sAMAccountName,sn,givenName,userPrincipalName

    Changing those two things fixed it for me.

    Oh and you'll want to correct your "CN=Lorrin Smith-Bates, OU=Employees, DC=contoso,DC-com" to "CN=Lorrin Smith-Bates, OU=Employees, DC=contoso,DC=com"
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon --
  • mishymishy Member Posts: 209 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Why does it say command completed successfully when they is still some errors or if the user accounts have not been added?
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    That makes it sound like it doesn't even see any accounts listed in your file, just the attributes at the top. Because anything added beyond the attributes would either work or break as far as I understand.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon --
  • mishymishy Member Posts: 209 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I agree with you that anything added below the first line is being ignored. DO you have any advice on how I should enter the notepad file or can you copy and paste the file you used?
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Copy and paste what you put in here already, fix up the lines so that they are on one line instead of two, fix the - to a = and remove that trailing space from the attributes line. That should fix you right up.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon --
  • mishymishy Member Posts: 209 ■■■□□□□□□□
    thanks mate it worked you were right. Let me just put in what I did to help others who might stumble upon this.

    I removed all the spaces and had text in 3 lines and also removed - changed it = and saved as the MS Press book said and then did the cmd and came out with successful and 2 entries modified.

    The reason I got the successful command but no entries in the AD was because of the space I had left below the first text entry so everything below that was being ignored and considered successful.

    Thanks for the help.
Sign In or Register to comment.