Options

backup

macdudemacdude Member Posts: 173
I have an issue with Backup exec 11d with the job status saying the server is paused. The backup job still runs. I have tried pausing all of the devices and the server and unpausing them and that was a no go. I have restarted the services from inside backup exec and the services in computer mangement. I have delted the job and recreated and it still says paused. Does any one have an idea on how to solve this?

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Does it log anything? I'd start by checking Windows event logs or it's own log (if it has one, I'm not familiar with it myself).
  • Options
    macdudemacdude Member Posts: 173
    I have not seen any errors in the logs. Does anyone have an idea?
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think you can pause and unpause the "server" icon too in addition to the tape drives, if I remember correctly.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    Toss that application.

We tossed that application about 6 months ago because of all the problems we had with it. We now just use my batch files and .vbs files that I created for customer backups in conjunction with Norton Ghost.
  • Options
    SWMSWM Member Posts: 287
    Use 11D at many sites, as long as its uptodate its stable and works well.

Create a dummy job taht backs up one file and see if it is still paused. It may be to do with the selections you have (external servers etc).
    Isn't Bill such a Great Guy!!!!
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I don't think BE 11d is that bad of an app for smaller networks, as long as you have it fully patched and follow the KB articles on the common errors in backup jobs. For larger networks like mine, all the little things added up to be hard to manage.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    TechJunky wrote:
    Toss that application.

We tossed that application about 6 months ago because of all the problems we had with it. We now just use my batch files and .vbs files that I created for customer backups in conjunction with Norton Ghost.

No offense, but I'd love to see your batch and scripts restore individual mailbox items or mailboxes without the hassle of a recovery storage group, and by backing up just the Exchange database and logs.

Not saying you can't get by without BackupExec or similar programs in your specific environment, but the blanket statement that everyone needs to toss Backup Exec out the window ignores the very useful things you can do with it that many environments need.
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    BE11D has not been friendly to me. I babysit it every week.
    - Week 1: database gone, all jobs gone, reinstall.
    - Week 2: all tapes are seen as cleaning tapes. Try to force them, doesn't work. Update firmware/drivers. Run live update, liveupdate fails for no good reason. Uninstall, Reinstall. Re-set up tapes.
    - Week 3: job suddenly begins getting 1 meg a minute instead of 1000. Is it the AV? No. Other jobs running slow? No. Network speed good? Yes. Uninstall, Reinstall. Problem solved!? Wow strange. Thanks for sucking, Be11D!

etc etc etc...
  • Options
    RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I upgraded to 12.0 and so far everything has worked perfectly. Maybe they've actually pulled their heads out of the tail and fixed (at least some of) the issues that made 11d crap.
  • Options
    cablegodcablegod Member Posts: 294
    HeroPsycho wrote:
    TechJunky wrote:
    Toss that application.

No offense, but I'd love to see your batch and scripts restore individual mailbox items or mailboxes without the hassle of a recovery storage group, and by backing up just the Exchange database and logs.

Not saying you can't get by without BackupExec or similar programs in your specific environment, but the blanket statement that everyone needs to toss Backup Exec out the window ignores the very useful things you can do with it that many environments need.

I use backup Exec System Recovery also with the Exchange Granular Restore option . It's superfast, and baremetal restores on different hardware is very nice. It's a bit pricey, but well worth the saved time and headaches. We used to be a Veritas BackupExec shop until I ran across this years ago when it was a PowerQuest product.
    “Government is a disease masquerading as its own cure.” -Robert LeFevre