Surfing the Web on Works Time

TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
Many posters do so on works time using company equipment as opposed to posting at home at their own expense.

To what extent do your employers allow you to surf the web on works time?

Comments

• royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    As much as we want. Just get your stuff done, do a great job, keep increasing revenue, and all is well. We're all about empowerment.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • cgrimaldocgrimaldo Member Posts: 439 ■■■■□□□□□□
    royal wrote:
    As much as we want. Just get your stuff done, do a great job, keep increasing revenue, and all is well. We're all about empowerment.

Plus 1
  • PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    no restriction as long as im meeting deadlines, i dont actually bother with websites like facebook or myspace, only ebay and techexams mainly at work :)
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Tyrant1919Tyrant1919 Member Posts: 519 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Same went for my time in the Air Force. As long as your @$%@ was done, it was cool.
    A+/N+/S+/L+/Svr+
    MCSA:03/08/12/16 MCSE:03s/EA08/Core Infra
    CCNA
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think Pash brings up a good point of content. Anything I'm doing is IT-related. I might be on Safari or here, but I'm not screwing around with social networking sites or YouTube.
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote:
    I think Pash brings up a good point of content. Anything I'm doing is IT-related. I might be on Safari or here, but I'm not screwing around with social networking sites or YouTube.

ditto. Browse all you want (whatever the FW permits at least). As long as your browsing doesnt interfere with your performance and job, then its fair game. I usually have the troubleticket system in one tab, and TE in the next. Followed by outlook in my other monitor. That about does it for browsing for me :)
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • supertechCETmasupertechCETma Member Posts: 377
    Turgon wrote:
    To what extent do your employers allow you to surf the web on works time?
    That's my job. icon_cool.gif
    Electronic Technicians Association-International www.eta-i.org
    The Fiber Optic Association www.thefoa.org
    Home Acoustics Alliance® http://www.homeacoustics.net/
    Imaging Science Foundation http://www.imagingscience.com/
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Personally its all good. Employers need to give IT staff some lattiude.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Techexams is probably as non-work related as it gets for me.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Only surf IT related sites except for ONE game forum that I post on.

Since I've been looking for a house that has been included in work time. >_<
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • coffeekingcoffeeking Member Posts: 305 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just started the job about 2 weeks ago. Everyone is real bussy with their stuff and have had a little time to show me what they want me to do. If didn't have access to the internet, it would have been real hard to sit around all day and wait for others to give me something to do.

Unlimited access, as long as its nothing harmful. TE gets a lot of hits form me in office. I have reading the forums more often since I started this job.

It is very important for me to have internet access since I am a newbie in IT and don't know a lot of things, I am learning that everyday, and can't expect others to show me every single step in a process, so I have to look up a lot of stuff on the internet to get an idea. I have been doing a lot of IT reading mainly.

It all comes down to the point that if your job is done and you are not doing anything out of the ordinary on the internet, you are allowed to use it.
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    coffeeking wrote:
    It is very important for me to have internet access since I am a newbie in IT and don't know a lot of things

No matter how good you are in IT, you will still use Google a lot as well as sites to reference something. Seriously, why memorize something just as long as you know how something works, and then know where and how to reference it at a later date. You can learn more by moving on to another topic since you know where to reference the information you just learned but didn't fully memorize.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    royal wrote:
    No matter how good you are in IT, you will still use Google a lot as well as sites to reference something. Seriously, why memorize something just as long as you know how something works, and then know where and how to reference it at a later date. You can learn more by moving on to another topic since you know where to reference the information you just learned but didn't fully memorize.

I still think a good test of how good a person is in IT is to take Google away from them and then set them loose on a problem of some sort. Their approach to solving it without having Google available will tell you loads about them, whether they solve the problem or not. I know of some guys who just basically curled up and died when they had to solve problems without Google. I think I myself rely on Google too much, but if it was gone I would still be able to work at a problem in most scenarios.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • hettyhetty Member Posts: 394
    undomiel wrote:
    I still think a good test of how good a person is in IT is to take Google away from them and then set them loose on a problem of some sort. Their approach to solving it without having Google available will tell you loads about them, whether they solve the problem or not. I know of some guys who just basically curled up and died when they had to solve problems without Google. I think I myself rely on Google too much, but if it was gone I would still be able to work at a problem in most scenarios.
    I have a crack at most things first and for the harder things leave it for google.
  • mog27mog27 Member Posts: 302
    undomiel wrote:
    royal wrote:

There are tons of other search engines besides google. ;)
    "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Ben Franklin

"The internet is a great way to get on the net." --Bob Dole
  • PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    royal wrote:
    coffeeking wrote:
    It is very important for me to have internet access since I am a newbie in IT and don't know a lot of things

Totally agree with royal, i actually use a firefox addon called zotero and i have hundreds of useful techlinks snapshots there. I think your ability to use the right questions is the key.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    undomiel wrote:
    royal wrote:

Ive always considered google a last resort.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My job doesnt care as long as you get your work done. I think they let us do it to keep us sane.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • motogpmanmotogpman Member Posts: 412
    I have been at this company for almost a year now, just hired on though. It is amazing how this company ran, no restrictions on useage. Since I came on, I have hed to bascially touch everything, to remove pirated software ( can cause companies legal issues), viruses, screensaver programs, ****,.... you name it, it was on the network/stored on servers somehow. It is amazing that any work got done. We locked everything down, cleaned or reimaged.... and our reporting from the managers was great. Amazing how bandwidth increases when 3/4 of your work force actaully works and produces. Production went up the roof, as well as people complaining of course, but after a few months of hammering the issue, people can see the impact they had when left to do as they please versus now. I think too much freedom is a killer.

I mainly use it for work related stuff, not to mention, I don't want any of my personal stuff floating around in case I leave or something. I leave that stuff for home, not to mention ( military term), we are trying to "lead by example." Profits for the company have went up, so that is good for everyone involved...job security. I study, research, and of course go to some IT related forums. Besides, I am too busy to really do more than that.
    -WIP- (70-294 and 297)

Once MCSE 2k3 completed:

WGU: BS in IT, Design/Management

Finish MCITP:EA, CCNA, PMP by end of 2012

After that, take a much needed vacation!!!!!