Options

DFS Question

brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
I have a question regarding DFS and its capabilities.

We are retiring a domain controller (2k3 x32) which was also a file server, loaded with shares and whatnot in its D:\, and our user's MyDocuments are redirected there as well.

We've got 2 new DC's online (2k3 x64) and want to replicate the data from the old DC to both of the new. I have no issue with creating the domain root...but if I create a new link pointed to a share on the old DC, when we take it offline, will uploads still be able to come into the "old" path? The "path to target" will obviously be different since that is what it is physically looking for on the network...so I'm wondering if I need to change EVERY link in DFS.

If you have done anything like this before or know of a better solution, feel free.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    1. Install DFS
    2. Create a DFS Domain Root
    3. Install Microsoft File Server Migration Toolkit (FSMT) on the target file server
    4. When going through the tool, choose specify DFS Root Server to keep UNC paths. When the data is migrated over, it'll automatically create the DFS link so user's who go to the old path will automatically go to the new server.

I would prefer using the Quest Storage Consolidator from Quest. We used this at a client last year and it worked great. It'll syncronize data, update OLE links within Microsoft applications, as well as update drive mappings, etc... It's an excellent tool. You can of course have it update drive mappings to a DFS path that you specify beforehand. That way you can use the Quest tool to change the path to a DFS path.

http://www.quest.com/storage-consolidator-for-windows/
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Wow, thanks for the link royal, that tool looks great at first glance. I'll have to investigate deeper tomorrow.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    royal wrote:
    1. Install DFS
    2. Create a DFS Domain Root
    3. Install Microsoft File Server Migration Toolkit (FSMT) on the target file server
    4. When going through the tool, choose specify DFS Root Server to keep UNC paths. When the data is migrated over, it'll automatically create the DFS link so user's who go to the old path will automatically go to the new server.

I would prefer using the Quest Storage Consolidator from Quest. We used this at a client last year and it worked great. It'll syncronize data, update OLE links within Microsoft applications, as well as update drive mappings, etc... It's an excellent tool. You can of course have it update drive mappings to a DFS path that you specify beforehand. That way you can use the Quest tool to change the path to a DFS path.

http://www.quest.com/storage-consolidator-for-windows/
    Thanks very much sir!
  • Options
    sir_creamy_sir_creamy_ Inactive Imported Users Posts: 298
    Runs in O(|V|+|E|) time! :D
    Bachelor of Computer Science

[Forum moderators are my friends]