Options

Defcon 16

JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
Anyone planning on going to Defcon 16 this year? It's in Las Vegas (as always) on August 8-10 (Fri/Sat/Sun). I will seriously try to make the trek this year, and I hope to meet a few other TE'ers there too!

Comments

• Options
    sir_creamy_sir_creamy_ Inactive Imported Users Posts: 298
    Ah com'on, it's like a 3 hour drive for you, no?

I'm not lucky enough to be in the vinicity, but are they usually this late with providing the list of speakers?
    Bachelor of Computer Science

[Forum moderators are my friends]
  • Options
    keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I'll certainly be there, however, I wont be there as Keatron. PM me when it gets close to that time. icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    keatron wrote:
    I'll certainly be there, however, I wont be there as Keatron. PM me when it gets close to that time. icon_wink.gif

Keatron, I'm really going to be disappointed if you don't have a glowing blue aura around you when I meet you.

So how much of a neophyte can you be and still get something out of this? I'm a security enthusiast, and I have a decent foundation, but my knowledge and experience aren't even comparable to either of yours. I could probably arrange the trip out there, but I don't want to bother if I'm just going to be wasting my time and money.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
    Ah com'on, it's like a 3 hour drive for you, no?
    3.5 hours straight up I-15 if I leave at 4AM and there's no accidents, road construction, or bad weather. And I stay at my in-laws place in LV, so I save on not needing a hotel too.
  • Options
    sir_creamy_sir_creamy_ Inactive Imported Users Posts: 298
    JDMurray wrote:
    And I stay at my in-laws place in LV, so I save on not needing a hotel too.

True. But when you factor in your losses playing craps at the Bellagio... :D
    Bachelor of Computer Science

[Forum moderators are my friends]
  • Options
    keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    dynamik wrote:
    keatron wrote:

Keatron, I'm really going to be disappointed if you don't have a glowing blue aura around you when I meet you.

So how much of a neophyte can you be and still get something out of this? I'm a security enthusiast, and I have a decent foundation, but my knowledge and experience aren't even comparable to either of yours. I could probably arrange the trip out there, but I don't want to bother if I'm just going to be wasting my time and money.

Honestly, even if you're an absolute beginner, you'l definitely get something out of it, and I can't think of a better way to spend 100 bucks. What beginners usually get out of it is a clearer picture of which areas of security they want to focus on. For a beginner in security, most of the direct applicability might be a little over the head, but you'll see some demonstrations and come away with a feeling of "I completely understand what I just saw conceptually, and I'm confident if I do a little reading and practice, I can actually carry out that exploit/attack/hack/fix".
  • Options
    Good deal. I was hoping that would be the case. Thanks for the response :D
  • Options
    So who actually made it out there?

Unfortunately, my schedule and finances got in the way this year. I'm definitely in for next year. I'll probably take the whole week off and hit Black Hat as well to make up for it icon_cool.gif

Hopefully I'll be less of a noob by then too!