Options

Rip Question

nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
Ok Maybe someone could clear this up for me....

I have a lab with 3 routers say A,B and C. Each have a point to point connection. I also have a loopback set on each router to simulate an internal network. The networks between each link are 192.168.1.0/24 for A to B, 192.168.2.0/24 for b to c and 192.168.3.0/24 for c to a. The loopback for a is 192.168.4.1/24, b is 192.168.5.1/24 c is 192.168.6.1/24.

I have also configured rip on each router to advertise each network on there 2 serial interfaces which are the point to point connections. Now if i wanted to ping 192.168.5.1 (On B) from router A should i be able to do so with this setup? or would i have to advertise the internal network in Rip using network 192.168.4.0 (on A) for example?

I know i can add a static route and it works with a ping but i thought that was the whole point of dynamic protocols - so you didnt have to rely on static routes etc?

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Cheers

nel.
Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
WIP: Msc advanced networking

Comments

• Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You need to advertise the loopback interfaces into rip.

router rip
    network 192.168.1.0
    network 192.168.2.0
    network 192.168.3.0
    network 192.168.4.0
    network 192.168.5.0
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    Would i have to advertise all the networks on every router or just the networks connected to that router?

• Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    nel wrote:
    Would i have to advertise all the networks on every router or just the networks connected to that router?

Only on the router you created the network on then rip will advertise it to the other routers.
  • Options
    shednik wrote:
    nel wrote:

Only on the router you created the network on then rip will advertise it to the other routers.

ahh, i thought so. thanks for clearing that one up.

• Options
    gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Remember, the network command only tells what interfaces to advertise the subnets on. So for example on Router A if you do the command:

router rip
    network 192.168.4.0

This means send/receive RIP updates on this interface
  • Options
    gojericho0 wrote:
    Remember, the network command only tells what interfaces to advertise the subnets on. So for example on Router A if you do the command:

router rip
    network 192.168.4.0

This means send/receive RIP updates on this interface

Thanks man, thats more clearer now