Options

Study Advice needed

ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
How do you guys take in material for exams? I mean i'm starting the MCSA right now i'm looking at the installing XP exam had a quick flick through the microsoft press book and was shocked that's a hell of alot of material to take in lol

My questions are I suffer with Homer Simpson Syndrome i.e I learn something new it pushes old stuff outta my head :D

Secondly plowing through pages is all good but what information should I be taken in I mean there is no clear pointers say hey Ally this section is important and it will be on the exam right now I am just reading text nodding my head and going hmmmm there is a possibility that will be on the exam but is it really relevant?

What are some study tips I mean reading a book is all good but damm it's a bit tedious how can I get stuff to stay in my brain dammit lol
Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "

Comments

• Options
    RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I learn the best through hands-on exposure and repetition. I'll read through a chapter and write down notes and then come back later and type the notes up. Sometimes, depending on the content, I'll write the notes down several times before actually typing them up. Hands-on typically gives me the best command of the material.
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    I use the official exam outline, and I treat it as a guide for learning the product, not the guide to pass them exam. I copy and paste the exam outline into Word, and then type notes out of the book under the appropriate heading in the outline. Once I finish, I go through the notes and see if there are holes in the notes. After you take a few exams, you begin to get a feel for where a topic wasn't covered in depth enough.

To be honest, though, I generally approach it as, "Can I do basic things relevant to this information?" If for example I read and take notes on disaster recovery, I ask myself, "So, if X happened, what do I do?" Or, "If I need to backup/restore AD, what kind of backup do I need, and how do I restore it?"

During the reading and afterwards, I make sure that I can actually hands on do everything. For example, if I read about site to site VPN's, I actually make a site to site VPN.

In the end, the whole reason certifications exist, and why potential employers should value them is because they hopefully indicate you have skills and knowledge. Make sure you learn what you're studying, first and foremost. Passing the exam doesn't mean you know the product, but generally speaking, hands on experience and a solid understanding of the product allows you to pass the exam AND succeed in your career.
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    Vogon PoetVogon Poet Member Posts: 291
    Treat all of the sections as important. Yes, it's a lot, but I have yet to see a textbook with any fluff in it whatsoever. Don't try to take too much in at one time. Repetition and hands-on practice are key.
    No matter how paranoid you are, you're not paranoid enough.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    HeroPsycho wrote:
    I use the official exam outline, and I treat it as a guide for learning the product, not the guide to pass them exam. I copy and paste the exam outline into Word, and then type notes out of the book under the appropriate heading in the outline. Once I finish, I go through the notes and see if there are holes in the notes. After you take a few exams, you begin to get a feel for where a topic wasn't covered in depth enough.

To be honest, though, I generally approach it as, "Can I do basic things relevant to this information?" If for example I read and take notes on disaster recovery, I ask myself, "So, if X happened, what do I do?" Or, "If I need to backup/restore AD, what kind of backup do I need, and how do I restore it?"

During the reading and afterwards, I make sure that I can actually hands on do everything. For example, if I read about site to site VPN's, I actually make a site to site VPN.

In the end, the whole reason certifications exist, and why potential employers should value them is because they hopefully indicate you have skills and knowledge. Make sure you learn what you're studying, first and foremost. Passing the exam doesn't mean you know the product, but generally speaking, hands on experience and a solid understanding of the product allows you to pass the exam AND succeed in your career.

+1
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I got hold of some MCSA videos I think this is my preferred method of study I guess I'm a visual person learn best when it's in front of me on the screen,

I have watched a few videos on XP and I think It wont take me long to pass this exam I have been plowing through the material guess during my 4 years in the I.T sector I have covered the majority of this material already

Next challenge is trying to find a Prometric centre close to home I got a quote from a company that said I had to pay close to 3k to obtain my MCSA icon_eek.gif

I'd rather self study it
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "