Options

Adobe CS3 Mac vs Windows

flares2flares2 Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys,
Our Advertising Dept currently has a MAC with Virtual Windows XP installed. They create their Advertisements through Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, DreamWeaver, etc). The Mac has CS3, the Virtual Windows CS2. We recently let go of an employee who was creating everything in Mac CS3. His replacement prefers to use Windows CS2, as she is not too Mac savvy. Of course nothing created in Mac CS3 will open in Windows CS2. I know there is a way to open in Mac CS3 do a save as, pick a different file type, and it will be available in CS2, but we're talking hundreds of gigs of files and I don't have the time to be converting all this for them. Question is, if we upgrade the Windows side to CS3, will the files be compatible? Both Mac and Windows will be CS3, but it will still be Mac vs Windows. Also, will everything created in Windows CS2 be compatible with Windows CS3. I remember there was a problem with this back in the CS1 to CS2 days.
Thanks for any suggestions,
Flares
Techexams.net - Job security for one more day.

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Mac and PC versions of CS3 are compatible. I work in a design shop. I'm on a PC, and three of my coworkers are on Macs. We don't have any problems.

You can sometimes open up newer versions in the older application. It depends on whether or not the file uses any of the newer features. Adobe has done a decent job of keeping things backwards-compatible lately. I'm not sure what problems there were with CS1 and CS2. Adobe file formats have been platform agnostic for quite awhile.

You could also just tell the person who isn't Mac savvy to suck it up. The main difference is that you have to use the apple key instead of the control key. I'm not a fan of Macs either, but I have no problem working on one.

You should also look into the actions capabilities of the applications. You can record actions and run them against a group of files in a batch process. You might just be able to let them save a copy of all the files in an older version over night or something as well.
  • Options
    flares2flares2 Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Awesome, thanks for the input.
    You could also just tell the person who isn't Mac savvy to suck it up.

Man I wish I could. My last network was in the military where everything was functionality over convenience. Nowadays in the civilian sector, my Director is all about making everyone happy. It doesn't matter if a system works or if a problem is resolved, but is everyone happy singing and dancing. It's all a dog and pony show. God forbid you actually say what you're thinking.
    Techexams.net - Job security for one more day.