Options

Windows XP - Recycle Bin

RS_MCPRS_MCP Member Posts: 352
When you do not need unwanted file's, folder's, shortcut's or even applications we usually send them to the recycle bin.

Once deleted in the recycle bin, where do they actually go? Or how do they get deleted? Is it possible to restore from the recycle bin?

I am really intrigued to know!

Big thanks for any responses.

Raj :)

Comments

• Options
    No Responses?

Surely someone must know?
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The data is still on the disk, but is inaccessible by traditional means. Basically, the OS just doesn't see that chunk of data as a file anymore, and will overwrite it as necessary. There is software that can restore this data, and that is why it's important to use some kind of utility to wipe the drive, or physically destroy it, before you get rid of it.
  • Options
    'Dynamik' is there anything you do not know?

Thank you for this information! I seem to learn something new every time you post something! Can you tell me abit more about this software?
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I don't mean to burst your bubble, but there's a great deal I don't know.

As far as the software goes, you'll have to research that yourself. There was a thread about it recently: http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=25788

You will also get quite a few results if you type something like file recovery software or data recovery software into Google.
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Don't let dynamik fool you. He's an omnipotent being of knowledge.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
    If you want to try and recover files that have been emptied from the Recycle Bin, I recommend Recuva. If you want to permanently erase files that are in the Recycle Bin, I recommend Eraser. I use 'em both.

And dynamik is just buckin' to be named a junior TE mod. ;)
  • Options
    Thank you guys! :)
  • Options
    Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    If you want to try and recover files that have been emptied from the Recycle Bin, I recommend Recuva.

Do you recommend this even though the drive dropped its partition, 1000's of photos of my kids are stilol on the drive, all attempts to recover have failed. Though i have not tried Recuva

Any other info would be great

Lee H
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
    Lee H wrote:
    Do you recommend this even though the drive dropped its partition, 1000's of photos of my kids are stilol on the drive, all attempts to recover have failed. Though i have not tried Recuva
    Recuva is simply a file recovery tool for deleted files and reformatted partitions, and not a disk repair tool, like SpinRite and Active@ Partition Recovery. If the drive has actual electromechanical failures, then it would be best to take it to a professional recovery service.
  • Options
    SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    RS_MCP wrote:
    When you do not need unwanted file's, folder's, shortcut's or even applications we usually send them to the recycle bin.

Once deleted in the recycle bin, where do they actually go? Or how do they get deleted? Is it possible to restore from the recycle bin?

I am really intrigued to know!

Big thanks for any responses.

Raj :)

Just a couple of things to note, its best to run a data recovery tool from a Live CD or other Media so the installation of the Recovery Tool does not overwrite the data your recovering itself. You could also install it prior to needing it on your PC just incase, then it doesnt need to be installed post data loss.
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools