Options

DNS and/or DHCP issue

datchchadatchcha Member Posts: 265
Hey gang,

I am having the following issue, and if somethign is wrong with my companies network.

Map
SysA = 10.0.0.10
SysB = 10.0.0.11
SysC = 10.0.0.12

Some machines when you ping 10.0.0.10 will return SysB, but when you ping SysB with the "-a" at 10.0.0.10 you get another machine. This is not happening for every machine. I have flushed the DNS records with the ipconfig /flushdns but i am still haivng this issue.

I am at a lost, and have no idea where i should look to start troubleshooting. If i look on the DHCP snap-in everything is currect. I am then able to get the ip address by goign to the DHCP snap-in.

Again this is not happening with every system.

Thank you.
Arrakis

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Check your reverse look-up zones in DNS. I'm not sure why'd you get different results if you've flushed the cache though. Are all machines pointing to the same DNS server?
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote:
    Check your reverse look-up zones in DNS. I'm not sure why'd you get different results if you've flushed the cache though. Are all machines pointing to the same DNS server?

Reverse lookup zones are not by default updated automatically when a client changes ip if I remember correctly. So flushing the cache on a client won't help. You've got to remove the bad records from the DNS server's reverse lookup zone manually.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    dynamik wrote:

every machine on the netwrok points to the same DNS server.
    Arrakis
  • Options
    sprkymrk wrote:
    dynamik wrote:

Reverse lookup zones are not by default updated automatically when a client changes ip if I remember correctly. So flushing the cache on a client won't help. You've got to remove the bad records from the DNS server's reverse lookup zone manually.

Will this be in somewhat of a simple output? something like SysB - - - 10.0.0.11 or something along those lines? thank you
    Arrakis
  • Options
    sprkymrk wrote:
    dynamik wrote:

Maybe I didn't phrase that right. I don't understand why some machines are getting different results if he has flushed the cache on the machines. Shouldn't the results be consistently wrong if the record has incorrect data?
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Sounds like it is time to break out nslookup to see what is really getting pulled from the server against what is being pulled from cache. Also make sure your hosts file is clean. Are you running two dns servers or just one? If two, make sure they're replicating properly.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    undomiel wrote:
    Sounds like it is time to break out nslookup to see what is really getting pulled from the server against what is being pulled from cache. Also make sure your hosts file is clean. Are you running two dns servers or just one? If two, make sure they're replicating properly.

I guess i am running (2). I have the preferred and the alt.
    Arrakis
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Did you check that replication is working properly? Did you try nslookup and query the same records from both servers? Did you verify your reverse look-up zones? We need more info on the results of checking these things.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    undomiel wrote:
    Did you check that replication is working properly? Did you try nslookup and query the same records from both servers? Did you verify your reverse look-up zones? We need more info on the results of checking these things.

Ok I reviewed my DNS Reverse Lookup Zone, and noticed that i have a few double entries.
    Example:
    10.0.0.11 SysB
    10.0.0.11 SysC

Woud it be safe to delete the entries? will they be rebuilt?

Thank you,
    Arrakis
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    datchcha wrote:
    undomiel wrote:

Ok I reviewed my DNS Reverse Lookup Zone, and noticed that i have a few double entries.
    Example:
    10.0.0.11 SysB
    10.0.0.11 SysC

Woud it be safe to delete the entries? will they be rebuilt?

Thank you,

you can always re-create them if they cause further issues, but it also depends on how the DNS records are replicated throughout your network. But judging from your example, YES that would surely cause DNS issues if resolving IP to host names.

to further strengthen sprkymrk's point, I think the key here is to find out exactly how your zones are being replicated.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    Also check how you're configured for DNS updates, and be sure to check if DHCP is updating the records on behalf of the clients as well.
  • Options
    If you are using 2 or more DHCP servers, and you are using dynamic "secure" updates, you need to use the DnsUpdateProxy group so that a single DHCP server will not own the records for all it's clients, thus causing problems when the original DHCP server is unavailable and the client gets an address from a different server. The new server will be unable to update the cleint record.

Also take a look on your DHCP server at option 81. This tells how the server is configured to perform the updates and such. Most likely, the client registers it's own A record, while the DHCP server registers the clients PTR record.

Of course all this assumes W2K or higher.
  • Options
    RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Make sure you enable records scavenging.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The answer to your questions is completely dependent on the OS that the DHCP servers and the OS of the systems sysa, sysb, and sysc.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    blargoe wrote:
    The answer to your questions is completely dependent on the OS that the DHCP servers and the OS of the systems sysa, sysb, and sysc.

Since he mentioned a "DHCP snap-in" I assumed it was a Windows network. Ipconfig /flushdns is also a Windows TCP/IP command, so that would make the clients windows too.

Linux/Unix machines don't have a "DHCP Snap-in", and linux clients use ifconfig.
  • Options
    thanks for the insight, i will check all of your suggestions.

Thank you.
    Arrakis
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Awwww. So busy today I missed all the DNS fun! icon_sad.gif
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks