Options

cisco IP Phone 7960 ?

japlasmajaplasma Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have the opportunity to acquire one of these phones, but wanted to ask if it would help with anything in CCNA study, if not what good is it other than a regular VoIP phone.
Any clarification would be appreciated. Thank you very much.

Comments

• Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    If you want to get an IP phone, the 7960 is fine as it is one of the newer models.

However, I really don't think it will be of any benefit for your CCNA studies.

Plus, I think you need a CallManager server to even get them to work (not to mention paying for a carrier).

For the CCNP studies, there are some QoS settings you can try with just the phone, but you'd need a 3550 switch or better to work with. And not all of those support PoE, which you'd need to power it up.

Probably best to use the money for something more practical.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You don't need any IP phones for the current CCNA.

A couple could be useful for the 642-845 ONT CCNP exam or if you decide to go for the CCVP. You don't need a CallManager for just a couple of phones -- just go with manual configuration and leave CallManager for the CCVP.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    japlasmajaplasma Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thank you guys...I'm getting this phone for $50, which, I hope is a good price.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    japlasma wrote:
    I hope is a good price.
    I haven't checked the prices for a couple of months, but I was happy that I got a couple for $80/90 each.... and then the prices went back over $100.

So unless the bottom has dropped out of the 7960 phone market in the last few months, that's a good price.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!