Options

installing 32-bit apps on a 64-bit OS

anilgopieanilgopie Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
I was just wondering if you have a 64-bit OS (Vista Ultimate), would there be issues if you install 32-bit apps?!?

Comments

• Options
    RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Nope.

EDIT: Always go with the 64bit option if it exists for the application, otherwise, 32bit works just about every time. Every once in a while - extremely seldom - you'll find a 32bit application that has issues running on a 64bit machine.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    That's what I run, and I haven't had any problems yet, even with games. Like RT said, there might be some obscure program that has problems, but you should be good for the most part. Drivers are probably going to be your biggest challenge.
  • Options
    anilgopieanilgopie Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks, I figured there shouldn't be a problem...but just wanted to make sure.
  • Options
    TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
    I haven't ran into any problems either. I just try to install any programs that happen to have a 64 bit version, which can be tough to find at times.

The only real difference I noticed is that x86 programs get a different folder from x64, which can be confusing when searching for files.
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    RTmarc wrote:
    Nope.

EDIT: Always go with the 64bit option if it exists for the application, otherwise, 32bit works just about every time. Every once in a while - extremely seldom - you'll find a 32bit application that has issues running on a 64bit machine.
    The GPMC doesnt work on 2k3x64 :p
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The 32 bit flavor of MS apps don't seem to work on 64 bit, if they have a corresponding 64 bit version. Also, if something requires .net 1.1 framework, you might be out of luck for 64 bit compatibility.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    SchluepSchluep Member Posts: 346
    Keep in mind application installs that work on say 32 bit XP may not work on 64 bit Vista because they need to run in compatibility mode or need to be set to run with administrative privileges. I have not encountered any 32 bit applications that I was unable to install on 64 bit Vista except for some that had 64 bit versions available. I am careful to always install 32 bit applications in the Program Files (x86) directory instead of the standard Program Files for 64 bit as well. I think it is nice having them seperated so you know what could be more efficiently upgraded if a newer version is available for 64 bit platforms.