Options

Umm.. Translating "xyz"...

dazerskidazerski Member Posts: 106 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi!

please forgive this question but I can't figure this out and I do not know if there is a way... but.

When I am fiddling around practicing commands in my switch or router, I am in privilege exec mode and I accidentally misspell a command, my switch or router tries to "Translate" it and I have to wait like 20 seconds for it to fail.

Is there a key-combo or something that cancels this translation? LOL i dunno... I tried the ones I thought would work but it doesn't. It's annoying.

I dunno... I can live with it and it may make me be more cautious about what I am typing but I would like to know how to cancel it.

thanky in advance!! :o

Comments

• Options
    miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    no ip domain-lookup
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    miller811 wrote:
    no ip domain-lookup

That will turn the look up off so it won't do that at all...or you can hit ctrl+shift+6 repeatedly and it will cancel your lookup.
  • Options
    pookerpooker Member Posts: 129 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ctrl c
    I wanna be ccie
  • Options
    thank you thank you thank you...and thank you!!! that thing is annoying to me because I constantly misspell commands or type ones that simply do not exist.

I swear I tried Control-C and it did not break it but I'll try again too.

THanks

Dale
  • Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    yep. no ip domain-lookup is excellent for your lab hardware.

another one i like is exec-timeout 0 0 to keep exec mode from timing out on me all the time.

logging synchronous too.
  • Options
    Yeah, the logging synchronous is key for me because I have to sit there and try to recall the command syntax and then a bunch of system messages clutter my view :P
    I'm not too speedy at the CLI yet but I am getting better, I am learning a lot. but these little commands to make CLI more user-friendly are very handy for me.