Options

Reading Odom's CCENT ICDN1 so hard!

frenchvfrenchv Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
Ok so I'm reading the first chapter it talks about the TCP layer and encapsulation. It's like trying to learn Chinese! (I am part Chinese btw)

Is it just me or this stuff is hard to understand. Plus my eyes get sleepy every time I read. I may have to re read this stuff a few times..

argh!

icon_sad.gif

Comments

• Options
    pookerpooker Member Posts: 129 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thats a first, Wendell does a great job to me of explaining the material, if you think that stuff is hard your prolly gonna flip on the second book. But all i can say is dont worry, you will hear all of that stuff every single day in the networking field, it will eventually be burned into your head and you will dream it.
    I wanna be ccie
  • Options
    pooker wrote:
    Thats a first, Wendell does a great job to me of explaining the material, if you think that stuff is hard your prolly gonna flip on the second book. But all i can say is dont worry, you will hear all of that stuff every single day in the networking field, it will eventually be burned into your head and you will dream it.

Maybe I need to focus when I read and not day dream.. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    pookerpooker Member Posts: 129 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Youll get it dont worry, Wendell is a great publisher though and I gurantee once you finish reading you will be surprised with your newfound knowledge!
    I wanna be ccie
  • Options
    Thanks guys, that big is like 500 pages.. argh..!
  • Options
    nounlunounlu Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have just completed cisco academy semester 1 and I can say encapsulation was by far the hardest subject for me. Subnetting is walk in the park compared to encapsulation. This is my opinion
  • Options
    lildeezullildeezul Member Posts: 404
    Also try to read from different sources, to better round your knowledge on that topic.

such as todd lammle book, or cbt nuggetts. ect..

Sorry for hijaking but i have a question.

i am readin lammle book and the chapter seem to go in order.
    like osi first, then tcp, then subnetting, then learn the ios, then routing, then eigrp ect.

on odoms book his chapters are different and seem to be out of order to me.
    for isnstance, in the INCD1 book he has wan configuration in there.
    and WAN topics arent covered until the last chapter in lammle book.

Idk, but some reason Odoms book seems kind of, out of order if you must..

maybe that me...

but why is it like that??? is it becuase odom book is based on the 2 test system, and lammle is based on the 1 test
    NHSCA National All-American Wrestler 135lb
  • Options
    CiscoCertsCiscoCerts Member Posts: 112
    frenchv wrote:
    Ok so I'm reading the first chapter it talks about the TCP layer and encapsulation. It's like trying to learn Chinese! (I am part Chinese btw)

Is it just me or this stuff is hard to understand. Plus my eyes get sleepy every time I read. I may have to re read this stuff a few times..

argh!

icon_sad.gif
    The more you read the easier it gets. You just have to get used to his writing style. Try to focus intently until it starts coming easier. I've heard the Todd Lammle book flows much easier although I've never read it myself.
  • Options
    sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have both the Odom book(s) and the Lammle book and I agree that the Lammle book is less boring to read. I liked how Lammle covered subnetting vs. Odom. Not trying to bash the Odom books though, the guy is a CCIE and the book is great. It covers the material well and is good for both people new to Networking as well as experienced IT Pros. I am not sure if this is true but I have heard the Odom books go into a little bit more depth than what is required for the exam which would be a good thing if it is true. It is better to have both books though IMO, if you know everything in the books and setup a lab with cisco routers/switches or use simulators you should be able to pass no problem.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • Options
    jscimeca715jscimeca715 Member Posts: 280
    frenchv: I'm studying the same book and here's how I'm approaching it. I read through the book just like it's a novel, I highlight some stuff I know if important but I don't really study it. After I finish reading it, I go back chapter by chapter and do his recommended study areas and spend a couple of hours making flashcards, reading the flashcards, and then studying the figures. His diagrams make it really easy to understand. Just remember, same layer interaction states that the lower layer provides a service to it's next highest layer...so the higher layer data gets encapsulated in the next lower layers header (and trailer at Layer 2.) Good luck!
  • Options
    t49t49 Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    frenchv wrote:

argh!

icon_sad.gif

Read each chapter 4 times. You will get it it time.
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    The first chapter of Odom is pretty lame -- where he talks about the flintstones computer network...it gets better.

If reading isn't your cup of tea (i often have trouble with it), there is no shame in video!
  • Options
    hettyhetty Member Posts: 394
    I probably shouldnt let you in on this secret but buy textaloud & neospeech. Open up your pdf version of the book in adobe reader and go to view & read out loud, activate the document and then you can read sections, pages or the entire document. Or copy the text in to textaloud and record it to a mp3 to put on to your ipod. Not perfect by any means especially when it gets to IP addresses! but it works. AT&T natural voices sounds better if you want to fly through the book quickly, neospeech sounds better when talking at a normal speed. Doesnt cost much either.

I didnt tell you this, keep this to yourself, say no more icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Sometimes, it's the material itself, and not the particular book you're reading, that's putting you to sleep. When I was studying for my CCNA, I was having trouble with switching concepts, so I picked up a copy of Cisco LAN Switching to help me nail down STP, trunking, etc. I ventured out every day to sit at the UC Berkeley campus to be among people studying chemistry, math, biology, and a whole slew of other things, to help inspire me to keep reading. Even here, in an 'ideal environment', I still felt like dozing off from time to time. It was here I realized that I really don't find switching exciting. Of course, I had to keep reading, and I'll continue to learn about switching, especially when it's time to hit the CCNP.

Keep reading, try to push your way through it, and you'll find yourself having put away those 500 pages before you know it. It might be difficult, some parts may be boring, but you'll be glad you did it after you're done. The important thing is to focus on what you're trying to learn, and not on counting pages until you're done. And, of course, if reading gets too tedious, try out CBT Nuggets for some video training, as a change of pace. The more you study, the more you'll begin to figure out what is the best methods of training for you; how you learn the most efficiently and what you respond to most positively.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    Thanks guys for all the great replies!
  • Options
    aragoen_celtdraaragoen_celtdra Member Posts: 246
    lildeezul wrote:

Sorry for hijaking but i have a question.

i am readin lammle book and the chapter seem to go in order.
    like osi first, then tcp, then subnetting, then learn the ios, then routing, then eigrp ect.

on odoms book his chapters are different and seem to be out of order to me.
    for isnstance, in the INCD1 book he has wan configuration in there.
    and WAN topics arent covered until the last chapter in lammle book.

maybe that me...

but why is it like that???
    It's just you!! icon_lol.gif

Actually, funny you mentioned that. I have the reverse opinion. I bought the Lammle book to supplement my Odom books. And when I opened the book and skimmed from front to back, I couldn't believe how "out of order" everything was. icon_evil.gif

I guess it has to do with what book you started first and who's style you grow accustomed to. I've gotten very familiar to Odom's style so to me, Odom's book is very well organized and flows very nicely. I also thought he's writing style was much easier to digest. i did, however, prefer Lammle's subnetting techniques.
    CCIE Wr: In Progress...
    Hours CCIE Wr Prep: 309:03:52
    Follow my study progress at Route My World!
    My CCIE Thread
  • Options
    lildeezullildeezul Member Posts: 404
    Your probably right.
    Since i did start out with lammles book, i am kind of use to his writing.
    I guess it depends on different perspectives.
    NHSCA National All-American Wrestler 135lb
  • Options
    itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
    frenchv

dude get chris bryant or cbt nuggets series on ccna they are awesome.

i watch the cbt (computer based training) and learn as I go along.
    I used the books to read say STP or OSPF or EIGRP etc...to get more intense debth
    the problem lies you are getting info overload. Get the cbts kind of pricey butu way worth
    it and then use your books for furth emphassi... way less information overload.
    i got the video mentor course by ODEM pretty good!
  • Options
    itdaddy wrote:
    frenchv

dude get chris bryant or CBT Nuggets series on ccna they are awesome.

i watch the cbt (computer based training) and learn as I go along.
    I used the books to read say STP or OSPF or EIGRP etc...to get more intense debth
    the problem lies you are getting info overload. Get the cbts kind of pricey butu way worth
    it and then use your books for furth emphassi... way less information overload.
    i got the video mentor course by ODEM pretty good!

Yup got that and it is definitely helpful. Well I finished my 1st chapter and it's not that bad after all.

I just need to re read it again and again.. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    VictoriousVictorious Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    CBT Nugget is a very good source for CCENT but it is $299.00!!!!! Isn't that very expensive??!!
    Victorious
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Victorious wrote:
    CBT Nugget is a very good source for CCENT but it is $299.00!!!!! Isn't that very expensive??!!

Compared to a $50 book, yes. Compared to a $2000-3000 course, no.

It depends on how you like to learn. Some people prefer books and some like visual demonstrations. They're not required by any means. They have sample videos available, so give them a shot and see if they're something you might be interested in.
  • Options
    frenchv

DUDE

i have odems books he is good i think he is better in it mentor videos
    but both will help. i am not a 900 page book reader. i need to watch and do
    and then read areas where i need extra emphasis...

OSPF
    ACL

but for ACLs. i just get sy 50 to 100 different ACLs from different sources and after making
    50 to 100 ACLs you just get cause you are getting sick! hahaha

but i also have what I call COLD memory work; there is material you have to have down cold
    and material you can deduce from other material given...I probably spend too much time studying but I will get there...;)
    and so will you!
  • Options
    Victorious

you can buy both ccna for 400.00 bucks yeah it is pricey but they go through like 90 percent of whatyou need. i like having it but if you have 20/20 vision do the 900 page book thing

;)
    Trainsignal is awesome too with Chris Bryant!
  • Options
    wbosherwbosher Member Posts: 422
    CBT nuggets rocks!!! I also have the Odom book which goes into more detail than the videos do, but everyone recommends two different sources anyway. As far as the price goes...can you really put a price on a good career???
  • Options
    coffeekingcoffeeking Member Posts: 305 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Like Slowhand said, try CBTs, they are awesome. I am getting ready for CCNA and that is what I am using and am loving it. I have tried reading different books before, including Odem's, I know that it was just me, find it real hard and read for hours. CBTs explain a lot of stuff and a lot quicker. Like yesterday was my subnetting day, which is one of the most discussed and said to be toughest part of CCNA, and got most of it figured it out in a like 2 videos. I am sure when I go over those it will be lot easier and I will get a good hold of it. Try them mate, may be thats what you need.