Options

Resume quick question

2»

Comments

• Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    If it's listed as "negotiable" then negotiate. If not then you can always bring up your concerns over the phone when looking to schedule the interview and ask them if they are willing to negotiate if the interview is successful - I wouldn't waste either parties time with the interview if you aren't willing to accept what they're posting and they're not willing to talk about upping it for the right person.

Is your "home town" a small city/town?
  • Options
    undomiel wrote:
    I would also avoid it if you have family. Shifts like that can really ruin a marriage.
    Yeah if you're married and your wife doesn't also work nights - like undomiel said, start looking for a new job - or you'll be looking for a new wife.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    No point in wasting anyones time if you do not plan on taking the position. Tell them up front your salary range and it can save everyone a bunch of time.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    sharptechsharptech Member Posts: 492 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks to everyones quick replies.

To answer a few questions - no I am not married or no way in hell I would think of taking a position with that shift ;p

Hometown is medium size - not NY City big, but little smaller.

I appreciate the advice - I will tell them the concern is the issue of money and the shift is not that great and decline. I will go after something more to my liking.

The one problem is I have not had a lot of phone calls and I would like to make the move in the next 3 months (as my lease is up here in 4 months) which makes the situation tough. I do not want to get into another year contract and get stuck here, however this is my career which is very important!

I will keep you guys updated and of course be back with more questions as they come up - thanks!
  • Options
    sharptech wrote:
    I appreciate the advice - I will tell them the concern is the issue of money and the shift is not that great and decline. I will go after something more to my liking.
    Makes sense. Thank them for the opportunity and they can give you a call back when a day shift opens at 25% more than what they are currently offering. ;)
  • Options
    I called back and we talked it over and decided it was not going to work for me. They could not reach my salary expectations which was fine.

One question that does come to mind - is it OK to ask the salary before coming up for the interview? I always thought that was a bad idea- however for the last interview I had to take two days off (got called in for a second interview) and they finally called back to negotiate and salary was way below what I expected and could not take it - so I wasted two vacation days. - What is the best way to handle the salary situation?

Thanks again - you guys are great help.
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    The longer you wait to talk salary the better it is for you. Let them name a number first, because then you would be negotiating upwards from there and not down. You naming a number can price you under or over what they are looking for and then you'd get passed by on a great job. The longer you wait before bringing up salary in the interviewing process the better it is for you. You want to aim for them making a job offer first when they name the salary because that means they actually want you and are prepared to put an effort into trying and getting you. Then you can negotiate from there, even if their initial offer is lower than expectations. Just remember if they've made a job offer they're prepared to put some work into getting you.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    undomiel wrote:
    The longer you wait to talk salary the better it is for you. Let them name a number first, because then you would be negotiating upwards from there and not down. You naming a number can price you under or over what they are looking for and then you'd get passed by on a great job. The longer you wait before bringing up salary in the interviewing process the better it is for you. You want to aim for them making a job offer first when they name the salary because that means they actually want you and are prepared to put an effort into trying and getting you. Then you can negotiate from there, even if their initial offer is lower than expectations. Just remember if they've made a job offer they're prepared to put some work into getting you.

Sounds good - thank you very much.
  • Options
    OK this has been interesting -

I applied to a job through Craigslist for a Desktop Manger position etc.. Now the person did not list the company, just said to forward resume on and they would contact if interested.

So after I applied I got an email back from the employer asking to go to starlight careers to fill out an application. The application form was interesting. It asked for references etc. but then asked - do you need better credit, do you want auto insurance, advertising things.

Right about then I was very suspicious. So today I get a call from what seemed like the recruiter but from a different company - VeriResume. They verified the application and said the company would contact me in a few days to schedule an interview. I asked the company name and can not find it anywhere on the net.

Anyone else run into these type of situations and do you pursue them or should I bail out at this point?

I feel like I am giving information to the wrong people... I am not even sure if this starlight career or VeriResume is legit at this point.

Thanks guys
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I would get out while you can. I've never heard of these agencies (they may be legit) but if any recruiter tried to sell me products I'd get away as quickly as possible.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    I would get out while you can. I've never heard of these agencies (they may be legit) but if any recruiter tried to sell me products I'd get away as quickly as possible.

OK thank you, yeah I never had any type of application trying to sell me things! I should of never submitted it in the first place.

When they give me a call I will kindly tell them no thanks.
  • Options
    CopierQueenCopierQueen Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Did you have to put your social security number on the form? If you did, your next 3 calls better be to the 3 big credit bureaus. It sounds like a scam. I just wrote an article for a trade magazine about computer and network security. It's amazing what hackers and crackers can do these days.
    I never give up. I never give in. And I don't take "no" for an answer.
  • Options
    Did you have to put your social security number on the form? If you did, your next 3 calls better be to the 3 big credit bureaus. It sounds like a scam. I just wrote an article for a trade magazine about computer and network security. It's amazing what hackers and crackers can do these days.

No - if that was required I would of stopped the process right away. Good point though!
  • Options
    Another question - I have been searching online for companies in the area I am looking for a job in.

Two questions -

Do you guys know a site that lists the top companies within a certain city/state?

And is this a good idea or do you guys just stick to the job boards and wait for them to be posted?

Edit: Going to add another question.. when looking around at different companies I did find one that needed an IT Infrastructure person which I do, but one of the requirements:

"Good (above average) JavaScript/HTML skills (will be verified during by a test)"

I have zero experience in JavaScript or HTML - should I even bother applying? I meet the other requirements of the position.

Thanks
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I'd say apply for a job even if you don't meet every requirement. The worst thing that will happen is that they'll say no.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    undomiel wrote:
    I'd say apply for a job even if you don't meet every requirement. The worst thing that will happen is that they'll say no.

That is true, guess it can not hurt. The only thing was they actually have a test for the programming part and I could not even do it ;p
  • Options
    Maybe just be clear that while you don't have those skills you have everything else and are willing to learn HTML/JavaScript as needed (assuming you are).
  • Options
    astorrs wrote:
    Maybe just be clear that while you don't have those skills you have everything else and are willing to learn HTML/JavaScript as needed (assuming you are).

Yeah not a bad idea - I will see if they give a call - I saw the job was posted on April 1st, however they did not post it on the job boards so no one may of really known about it.
  • Options
    OK - back to the job search ;p

I applied to a job a couple months back and the President of the company (small consulting company) shot me an email saying if you are still interested please let me know as soon as possible.

I shot an email back saying yes I am interested let me know when you would like to discuss. He emailed me a week ago and I have not heard anything - is it OK for me to give a call? I do not want to seem desperate, but he seemed pretty urgent about contacting me.

Thanks
  • Options
    Another quick question :P

Wanted some advice and what you guys think. Recently a friend of mine from my former company contacted me to let me know my old position is available and if interested to talk to my old boss.

I did contact him and showed interest in returning to the company. He told me to re-submit my updated resume to HR and he was going to talk to the others about me returning etc..

So far it has been two weeks and I have heard nothing back. Do you think I should shoot him an email asking him for a status update or should I wait before contacting?

Thanks
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    I don't think it'd be unreasonable for you to send a follow up email to get a status. The bigger question here is what caused you to leave the company in the first place? Was it a friendly departure?
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    skrpune wrote: »
    I don't think it'd be unreasonable for you to send a follow up email to get a status. The bigger question here is what caused you to leave the company in the first place? Was it a friendly departure?

Yes, we are on very good terms - I had to leave due to personal reasons and came back to my home town, it was a very rough year on me and I decided it would be best to take care of things back home. Now almost a year later things are a lot better and so would be nice to go back. They were very nice to me when I had left etc.. so no problems on that end.

Alright ill shoot over an email and see what happens next - thanks!