Options

Wrong answer or just confusion?

jscimeca715jscimeca715 Member Posts: 280
Hello all, I'm studying Wendall Odom's book in preparation for INCD1 and have a question. He states that the total number of networks for class a is 2^7-2. Class B 2^14 and Class C 2^21. I was wondering why it wouldn't be raised to the power of 8, 16, and 24 respectively? I think I'm just having a moment where I don't understand so any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    pookerpooker Member Posts: 129 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Because he is talking about the number of networks , the smallest network you can have would have one ip address, which would never work but he is just showing for example. 2^7 = 128, - 2 = 126 if you had the command no ip subnet zero entered. If your talking about total number of hosts it would be 2^8 - 2, I think its bacwards though because a class c would have 2^7 and so on

the minimum bit you could borrow would be 1 , which would make the networks look like this

he is just telling you the maximum networks supported by that class
    I wanna be ccie
  • Options
    jscimeca715jscimeca715 Member Posts: 280
    Pooker: Do you have Wendall Odom's ICND1 book? I'm referring to the table on page 110 (Table 5-5) column four. I'm still not clear as to why this is the case, no offense, maybe I'm overthinking it?
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    That's just how the number of networks in Class A, B, and C are represented mathematically. For example, if you used all 8 bits for a Class A, there would be nothing left for the other classes.
  • Options
    redgrenredgren Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello all, I'm studying Wendall Odom's book in preparation for INCD1 and have a question. He states that the total number of networks for class a is 2^7-2. Class B 2^14 and Class C 2^21. I was wondering why it wouldn't be raised to the power of 8, 16, and 24 respectively? I think I'm just having a moment where I don't understand so any help would be appreciated.

I think in that table he is removing the reserved addresses, so what he is giving you is the # of available network numbers.