Options

shared printer problem

winuser1winuser1 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

I'm pretty stumped on a problem I have with my shared printer and the print preferences. I have a xerox phaser 3400 thats directly connected through a serial connection to a pc running windows xp. I am able to share this printer with other computers in my network, but when I change the printer preferences on the my other computers, those printer preferences are not remembered.

I tried to change the default settings on the pc thats directly connected to the printer to the settings I want on the other machines. This approach gets the settings on the other client machines set to the preferences I want, but when I open up the preferences again it reverts back to factory defaults.

If anyone has any idea why this is happening or has any idea how I would be able to get the client machines to remember the changes, I am all ears, and much appreciative.

thanks!

Comments

• Options
    dax_kundax_kun Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Have you check the printer server if you gave Manage Printer right to your users?
  • Options
    All users have manage printer rights.
  • Options
  • Options
    xp_proxp_pro Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    are you using the native drivers built into windows on the other computers ?

if so try to install the drivers & printer software from the CD and install it as network printer.

good luck :)
    MCP certified , A+ certified, MCDST
  • Options
    pryde7pryde7 Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Does the print server hold the preferences you make? If it defaults also to factory settings the clients will behave same.
    I suggest to delete the printer from the network, reinstall it on the server, make the necessary settings before sharing and installing on other clients.
    That should solve the problem else the settings you make may be out of the printers capability or features supported.