Options

Problem reaching MS Knowledge Base Site

win2k8win2k8 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 262
Hey everyone, I am a bit stumped here, and was wondering if anybody could help me out or point me in the right direction. Heres the problem, no computer at the office can reach http://support.microsoft.com however they can reach microsoft.com
This is happening on the clients which dns is pointed to our dns server. Also i cannot reach support.microsoft.com from the DNS Server itself. Same error: Internet Explorer cannot display the page. If it was a DNS issue why would it let me go to micosoft.com but not support.microsoft.com? We are running Tred Micro virus protection. I did a full scan Search&Destroy and still happening. I reset IE 7 browser, still happening. In Firefox I do not get a error like in IE 7, i just get a white page when trying to reach support.microsoft.com. I am thinking this might be a issue on the ISP side? As I dont know what else it could be.

Thanks in advance for the help,

win2k4

Comments

• Options
    hettyhetty Member Posts: 394
    How are your DNS servers setup? Clients access the server DNS and it in turn forwards to your internet gateway IP address or your ISP address? Have you tried using OpenDNS?
  • Options
    he-manhe-man Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Maybe the site is down?? icon_lol.gif

Can you browse to the IP 64.4.52.254?

Do you actually have a microsoft.com zone in your DNS? (I know its unlikley)
  • Options
    No i cannot browse by IP. Yes its setup like: Clients access the server DNS and it in turn forwards to your internet gateway IP address or your ISP address. Looking into this OpenDNS thing.

thanks,

win2k4
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you can't pull it up by IP, it sounds like you have a network problem. That will work whether your DNS is working or not.

If you ping support.microsoft.com or do an nslookup support.microsoft.com, do you get the IP address he-man mentioned? If so, it's not a DNS problem (like I said, even if your DNS is misconfigured, you should still be able to access it via the IP).
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    I also get 64.4.52.254 support.microsoft.akadns.net but can't ping it...maybe it doesn't respond to pings. if you traceroute it, does it make it out of your ISP's network?
  • Options
    Just an update, i tried that OpenDNS, and still cant reach support.microsoft.com
    What kind of network problem could it be, like firewall or router? I didnt make any changes to either though? Maybe its a network problem outside the office network, like ISP blocking it?

I did a tracert, and it seems like after the last router for the ISP, it never goes pass, start getting request timed out. It never reaches destination, it does clear the office network though.

win2k4
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I'm getting a different IP address for support.microsoft.com but I'm using OpenDNS here.

I can reach both addresses but interestingly enough if I do tracert to the 64.4.52.254 address it dies as soon as it jumps off of Cox's network. A tracert to 207.46.248.248 makes it through msn before dying. Try that address and see if it works any better for you.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    It could be the ISP's issue -- bad router somewhere. Sometimes we lose the ability to get to certain sites but it usually comes back in a day or two. How long has it been a problem?

It's possible another IP will work -- i'm sure it's heavily colocated and load balanced.
  • Options
    Yeah, it's possible another IP will work -- i'm sure it's heavily colocated and load balanced.
  • Options
    nl wrote:
    I also get 64.4.52.254 support.microsoft.akadns.net but can't ping it...maybe it doesn't respond to pings. if you traceroute it, does it make it out of your ISP's network?

It didn't for me either. It is still an easy way to test DNS though. I can access it through a browser, so I really wasn't concerned with network connectivity.
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    oh... yeah Microsoft has been blocking ICMP for many years now.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    207.46.248.248 does not work for me either. I noticed this problem yesterday when I was trying to lookup some kb article. And its still going on today.

I was able to reach further using 207.46.248.248 for tracert

win2k4
  • Options
    tracert is basically just a series of pings, so if MS doesn't respond to ICMP requests, it would make sense that tracert would drop-off once it reach MS's network.

You might want to give your ISP a call and see if they can reach it. That would at least help determine where the problem lies.
  • Options
    Okay will do. I found a workaround until then, i'm using kproxy, and it works fine using the proxy. So it may be infact the ISP, going to call them when i'm free.

Thanks for everyone's help.

win2k4