Options

2514 cheaper than 2501... why?

KalabinKalabin Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
So, I was looking around online and came across the cablesandkits.com website mentioned in a previous post. What I am trying to understand is why the 2501 is more expensive than the 2514. The 2501 has 1 AUI, 1 Console, 2 Serial. From what cablesandkits states the 2514 has two AUI, 1 Console, two Serial.

Any reason that I wouldnt want to go with the 2514? It's only 24.95 from the site. I'm just looking for a third router than I can use as a Frame-Relay switch, then just use it as a core for NAT / PAT ACL's etc. For the price I dont see why I would buy the 2501, unless it's only running 8MB / Flash...

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'd definitely compare the memory between the two. Is that not listed?

Also, a 2520 might be a better option for frame-relay since it has four serial interfaces.
  • Options
    Well, I lucked out this evening. Went over to my old man's house who is an engineer for a company and he had sitting there a Cisco 3550XL, and a Cisco 2621XM. Now I just need the module for the 2621 for frame relay and I will be rockin.

Any suggestion's on where I should find a 4NM serial interface module for the 2621? The only place I have found one decently priced is on ciscokit's.com for roughly 80 bucks if I recall correctly. Ebay wanted 120+. So, where do you guys pickup your module's?
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Kalabin wrote:
    Any suggestion's on where I should find a 4NM serial interface module for the 2621?
    eBay -- $40-$65 on average. There usually is a Buy-It-Now for around $60-$65 shipped. I did win a couple of auctions once for $25 each (plus shipping). Search for NM-4A/S

If it's a 3550 switch, then you made out like a bandit. If its a 3500-XL, then it's still an okay 3rd or 4th switch. If its a 3500-XL-EN, that's better, but still only okay as a 3rd or 4th switch.

The 2621XM by itself would have made it a worth while visit. :D
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote:
    Kalabin wrote:
    Any suggestion's on where I should find a 4NM serial interface module for the 2621?
    eBay -- $40-$65 on average. There usually is a Buy-It-Now for around $60-$65 shipped. I did win a couple of auctions once for $25 each (plus shipping). Search for NM-4A/S

If it's a 3550 switch, then you made out like a bandit. If its a 3500-XL, then it's still an okay 3rd or 4th switch. If its a 3500-XL-EN, that's better, but still only okay as a 3rd or 4th switch.

The 2621XM by itself would have made it a worth while visit. :D

Spoke to soon, it is a 3500XL. However compared to my horrid 1924 switches it's a nice upgrade. How does it compare in feature's to the 2950's?