Options

Dynamips\GNS3 Question

XyplesXyples Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
in GNS3 one of the "devices" you can simulate is a cloud
I understand that a cloud usually represents the internet but i dont know how to use it in the program itself. the cloud has many configuration options like "Ethenet NIO" "NIO UDP" etc.

I'd be glad if you could help me with that.
Thanks! icon_idea.gif

Comments

• Options
    ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Why don't you try dynamips instead? it'll be a little hard to use it but you'll be amazed how much control you have over the labs.
  • Options
    I currently study for CCENT so I prefer using the simple GUI instead of spending time on learning how to work with dynamips sry...

can you still help me with the cloud?
    or is there other way i can simulate the internet in labs ?

thank you
  • Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yeah, even for CCENT spending an hour learning how to work direclty with dynamips is a wise investment of your time. GNS3 sucks IMO.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    spending an hour learning how to work direclty with dynamips is a wise investment of your time.
    Dynagen! Dynagen! Dynagen!

I think I did run Dynamips once without Dynagen..... But it's Dynagen and the tutorial that shouldn't take more than an hour. I had one of the sample NET files modified for my PC and IOS image file running within 10 minutes.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Ok I surrender! I started reading the "Dynagen!" tutorial... icon_rolleyes.gif
    but my question still remains unsolved...

How do I simulate the Internet?
    Is there a way to ping websites from my lab and see a response?
    or I'm missing something...

thanks all! :D
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Xyples wrote:
    How do I simulate the Internet?
    Is there a way to ping websites from my lab and see a response?
    The internet is probably to large to simulate, even with multiple Dynamips Servers, so it is probably just easier to use the real one.

Since the Internet qualifies as a Real Network, you'd want to check out the Communicating with Real Networks Section of the Dynamips/Dynagen Tutorial. Remember that standard network routing and name resolution (if desired) must also be properly configured for it to work, and you'd probably limit your network to the RFC 1918 Private Address Space and use NAT to talk to the Internet.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
    have you tried Blindhog.net ?