Options

ICND 1 Exam topics

Chris in MichChris in Mich Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
This week I'll be finishing a ICND 1 course at a Community College. I've learned much as this has taken 16 weeks of two 3.5 hour classes each week, in addition to at least an additional 4 hours per week of study/lab time. I've done fairly well, and had planned on a couple of weeks of self study after the class finished and then taking the cert. However I just purchased the CCENT/CCNA ICND1 Official Exam Certification Guide by Wendell Odom, and the topics covered are significantly different then what was covered in the course, for instance EIGRP and OSPF were covered in the course, and are not in the book, while we didn't cover switches or wireless LANs in class they are covered in the book. I've been advised by my instructor that the course changed this semester which might make the book dated, but he has not taken the exam and couldn't tell me for sure. So at this point I'm really not sure what I need to study, I've looked online but much of the information is for retired tests and I'm still not clear. Any advise from someone who has taken the current test would be of great help.

Comments

• Options
    pookerpooker Member Posts: 129 ■■□□□□□□□□
    RIP is part of the exam objectives/implementation for ICND 1, they leave most of OSPF and EIGRP for ICND 2 , such as implementation and trouble shooting. Regardless that still doesnt mean you shouldnt know the basics of it, AD, link state/ hybrid/ distance vector.
    I wanna be ccie
  • Options
    mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The exam layout changed November 7th, 2007. I would presume that the course outlined by your professor might be for the prior exam layout. Don't feel dismayed because you are more prepared for both ICND1 and ICND2 holistically, since all the other topics are covered under ICND2. All the details you need to know about what to cover and what not to are listed in the following URL.

640-822 ICND1 - Interconnecting Cisco Networking Devices Part 1
    http://cisco.com/web/learning/le3/current_exams/640-822.html

I used the following book and felt that it did a good job of summarizing the points of what to pay special attention to at the end of each chapter.
    CCENT: Cisco Certified Entry Networking Technician: ICND1 (Exam 640-822) by Todd Lammle
    http://www.amazon.com/CCENT-Certified-Networking-Technician-640-822/dp/0470247029/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1209354759&sr=8-1

Some people prefer Wendell's books, good idea to spend some time at a bookstore and browse each. Their writing styles are different and some rather than others might be easier on the eyes and brain.

Switches and wireless LANs are covered on a minimalistic level; though, you definitely don't have to worry about VLAN's and VTP until ICND2.