Options

The Future of Vista & Certs

apena7apena7 Member Posts: 351
hello everyone, i'm planning to take the Vista 70-620 exam next month, however, i am not so sure of the future of this OS. for one, here's a nice little article stating that vista may be on the chopping block as far as development. granted, this is only one article, but i think it raised a valid concern......will Vista become the next ME? in other words, is it difficult to imagine Vista being replaced/discontinued within a matter of months (as opposed to years)? will MS just release more service packs for XP while working on the next OS?

any thoughts on the issue would be appreciated. (by the way, i'm still taking the exam no matter what)
Usus magister est optimus

Comments

• Options
    ThiassiThiassi Member Posts: 167
    I don't think you can too much from what a few "analysts" say. Most are just jumping on the anti-Vista bandwagon anyway. It gets their articles noticed more than saying any positives about the OS.

There's no way it's going to be discontinued within months. The thing is all of this was said about 2000 > XP as well. "Is XP simply a SP to 2000?".

Haven't MS already said that they're going back to 3 year OS updates after Vista? So 2010 is the official word and dev for Windows 7 is far too early on for a 2009 release.

Unless it comes from the horses mouth I wouldn't take much stock in what non-technical Analysts come out with.
    ~Thiassi
  • Options
    Tyrant1919Tyrant1919 Member Posts: 519 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ME was a great OS!!!!!!!!!!
    A+/N+/S+/L+/Svr+
    MCSA:03/08/12/16 MCSE:03s/EA08/Core Infra
    CCNA
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    A lot of the noise about Vista is simply FUD. It's a solid OS on a decently powered machine with proper drivers. People are just boohooing that their P3 800mhz machines runs slow and their printer from 1999 doesn't work. A lot of these things were to be expected. I think Vista most significant problem is that XP SP2 is a solid OS, and there's not a lot of incentive to upgrade. Vista has sold a ton, and it will start making even greater headway once XP is discontinued. Also, keep in mind that even when Windows 7 comes out, it will still be 12-18 months before that starts getting adopted as well. Finally, there's no reason not to learn Vista. Even if it is short-lived, the next version will build upon what is there, so you will just have less to learn for the next iteration.
  • Options
    RoRsChAcHRoRsChAcH Member Posts: 31 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ^
    Couldn’t have said it better myself!
  • Options
    ThiassiThiassi Member Posts: 167
    dynamik wrote:
    A lot of the noise about Vista is simply FUD. It's a solid OS on a decently powered machine with proper drivers. People are just boohooing that their P3 800mhz machines runs slow and their printer from 1999 doesn't work. A lot of these things were to be expected. I think Vista most significant problem is that XP SP2 is a solid OS, and there's not a lot of incentive to upgrade. Vista has sold a ton, and it will start making even greater headway once XP is discontinued. Also, keep in mind that even when Windows 7 comes out, it will still be 12-18 months before that starts getting adopted as well. Finally, there's no reason not to learn Vista. Even if it is short-lived, the next version will build upon what is there, so you will just have less to learn for the next iteration.

+1 and well said.
    ~Thiassi
  • Options
    I think 5 years for a new OS to come out is decent. If Vista 7 comes out before late 2011, I'll be a little heated. I don't need to fork out another $300 for the new OS.
    A+/N+/S+/L+/Svr+
    CCNA
  • Options
    Yes I got it retail. I got like a 15% discount at the time too. The price has dropped a bit since then.

I prefered retail at the time because I heard OEMs might give you trouble when upgrading systems.
    A+/N+/S+/L+/Svr+
    CCNA
  • Options
    sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    muyloco286 wrote:
    hello everyone, i'm planning to take the Vista 70-620 exam next month, however, i am not so sure of the future of this OS. for one, here's a nice little article stating that vista may be on the chopping block as far as development. granted, this is only one article, but i think it raised a valid concern......will Vista become the next ME? in other words, is it difficult to imagine Vista being replaced/discontinued within a matter of months (as opposed to years)? will MS just release more service packs for XP while working on the next OS?

any thoughts on the issue would be appreciated. (by the way, i'm still taking the exam no matter what)

If you are that worried about it you could always take the MCDST exams, XP will be around for a few years to come. And once you received your MCDST all you would have to do is upgrade to MCITP:EST with one exam. Just food for thought.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • Options
    apena7apena7 Member Posts: 351
    thanks for the responses.

honestly, i could care less if vista stays for around for 10 years or is scrapped next week. as i stated, i'm still taking the exams no matter what.

Thiassi seemed to answer my question satisfactorily as i was asking about vista from the developer's standpoint, not the end-user as dymanik responded.
    Usus magister est optimus