I just don't know which one to choose first...

ZoomerZoomer Member Posts: 126
I started out with studying for the A+/Net+, then my company started purchasing Cisco equipment and wanted me to configure everything without having to pay high prices for outside contractors. They bought me CCENT/CCNA study material and I switched to that. Then they are looking at migrating over to VOIP and want me to look into setting that up. Once again, they bought me CCVP materials (CBT Nuggets) and I started going through those. I let them know that I would probably need to go through the CCNA before I tackled the CCVP. Now they want me to look into building some PC's for a couple clients, so I went back to catching up on the A+ material.

I'm so confused on where to start. It's great that my job is paying for all this material, but now I'm overwhelmed and don't know which certification I should focus on. I've been getting pieces here and there from the materials to give me some insight into these different areas so that I have somewhat of an undersanding of things. Any suggestions?

Comments

  • hettyhetty Member Posts: 394
    Get a start with A+ & Network+ and work upwards in difficulty.
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    hetty wrote:
    Get a start with A+ & Network+ and work upwards in difficulty.

    Agreed. A lot of people will say to forget the A+ and Network+ as they are novice certs, but I still think they build the foundational knowledge to assist in tackling Microsoft, Cisco, and other more difficult technical certs.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • JDMurrayJDMurray MSIT InfoSec, CISSP, SSCP, GSEC, EnCE, C|EH, CySA+, PenTest+, CASP+, Security+ Surf City, USAAdmin Posts: 12,076 Admin
    Get as many training materials and study aides as your boss will buy before your company realizes that purchasing new equipment and having one tech self-educate himself on proper installation, configuration, and maintenance is not a cost-effective way to implement a technical infrastructure. See if they'll send you to some expensive training classes too. ;)
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    royal wrote:
    hetty wrote:
    Get a start with A+ & Network+ and work upwards in difficulty.

    Agreed. A lot of people will say to forget the A+ and Network+ as they are novice certs, but I still think they build the foundational knowledge to assist in tackling Microsoft, Cisco, and other more difficult technical certs.

    +1

    some people say it's a waste of money, but at least net+ gives you fundamental networking knowledge if you dont already have it.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

    :study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • sir_creamy_sir_creamy_ Inactive Imported Users Posts: 298
    snadam wrote:
    some people say it's a waste of money, but at least net+ gives you fundamental networking knowledge if you dont already have it.

    It's a waste of YOUR money but not a waste of COMPANY money :)
    Bachelor of Computer Science

    [Forum moderators are my friends]
  • AlanJamesAlanJames Member Posts: 230
    focus on ccna 1st, then CCVP. Don't rush it.

    Building PC's is like lego, I wouldnt worry about A+
Sign In or Register to comment.