electricity by nature

jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
Anyone here use other sources to get electricity such as windpower or solar power?
I'm trying to figure out ways to cut down the cost of electricity here for my dad and if
spending alot of money on solar panels will save me more than what I spent in the
years later then I'm down with it. I've looked into solar power but not wind power.
Could any one explain how they use it and how they installed the equipment or any tips?
Booya!!
WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
*****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****

Comments

• KalabinKalabin Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Anyone here use other sources to get electricity such as windpower or solar power?
    I'm trying to figure out ways to cut down the cost of electricity here for my dad and if
    spending alot of money on solar panels will save me more than what I spent in the
    years later then I'm down with it. I've looked into solar power but not wind power.
    Could any one explain how they use it and how they installed the equipment or any tips?

I once had a class with a retired Journeyman Electrician who installed Solar Power out at his cabin. It was more out of necessity than anything as there was no service for power in his area. Ya set the solar panel's up, they go to a battery bank, from there the electricity get's converted from DC to AC power usable for the outlet's. I know he said the investment would not pay off in his life time, but to subset the cost's he would re-sell the solar power to his neighboor's in the area.

Mind you he only used the Cabin in Alaska, a bit up north where the summer's can get up to 20+ hours of day light. He used a Diesel generator if I remember correctly. Either way, alternative energy's are expensive to deploy, cost more upfront.
  • eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I've read a lot about this topic becuase I find it very interesting. I think energy today is much like computing was in the late 80's. Once the internet really took off, every person suddenly had the capability to produce and host content and purchase goods and services from others. Energy is in the same place; instead of each household simply consuming energy, as equipment costs continue to decrease I believe that we will see individual households become producers of energy that get used by others on the grid.

Depending on where you live, there can be incentives for installing solar equipment. One thing that comes to mind was a company in California that I heard about recently, it is called Sungevity at http://www.sungevity.com/#start

In everything that I've read on this topic it's useful to point out that most authors say the initial place to look is at reducing current energy consumption. Sometimes this can save an unbelievable amount of money every month.

In 2006 I did an energy audit of my house, and I found no less than 15 different recharging devices that were constantly plugged in. Although the individual power usage for each one is miniscule, combined and over time, it was significant.

The device I used to determine energy consumption is the Kill-a-Watt at http://www.amazon.com/P3-International-P4400-Electricity-Monitor/dp/B00009MDBU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1209433365&sr=8-1

IMO, the best and most useful thing is to look for these and other phantom loads and eliminate them. In my case it was a matter of putting all required recharging adaptors on a power switch that could be powered on and off as we needed it.

Following that, there are other steps that one can take. One of the other big transfer points for energy in a house is the windows. In my case, because the house is relatively new, the windows did not need to be replaced. However, by having a professional install a thin, 3M window tint to all of the windows in my house, I was able to significantly reduce energy costs throughout the year.

Another thing that I am considering doing is installing a radiant barrier in my attic.

MS
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    soo maybe in a few years when i get my own place i'll get a few panels and hook ups
    i know its still expensive to own so i hope when the people start moving over to more
    energy saving products then it'll be way worth it.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****