Options

EIGRP : Gateway of last resort

KalabinKalabin Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
So, for my case study I have to implement EIGRP as my routing protocol. However for the life of me I can't remember beyond doing a static route, if you can have your main router push it's gateway of last resort to other directly connected router's.

I know in OSPF you can do default-information originate. Does EIGRP have something simular or is it just a matter of inputting an ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 x.x.x.x

Comments

• Options
    mikearamamikearama Member Posts: 749
    I know in our mpls eigrp wan solution that we use the "ip default-network" command to specify the default network to the rest of the wan. It's context is:
    ip default-network 192.168.22.1

...where 192.168.22.1 is a directly connected network to the router that had this command issued on it.

I believe there's another option...

You can use
    ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 s0

to create the static default route, and then use:
    network 0.0.0.0

under the router eigrp command to redistribute the network as part of regular eigrp updates.

HTH,
    Mike
    There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

Taking a time-out to add the CCVP. Capitalizing on a current IPT pilot project.
  • Options
    mikearama wrote:
    I know in our mpls eigrp wan solution that we use the "ip default-network" command to specify the default network to the rest of the wan. It's context is:
    ip default-network 192.168.22.1

So, I would input this on the router connected to my WAN link to the internet. This router would then send out this default network / router as the gateway of last resort to all other connected router's on the same EIGRP AS #?

What im trying to do basically is have one router specific the gateway of last resort for all other router's in the EIGRP routing update's. Rather than actually going to each router and specifying a static route.
  • Options
    mikearamamikearama Member Posts: 749
    You got it.

As long as the router that you issue this command on has a direct connection to the network being assigned, and it's been entered into eigrp using the network command, it'll dole it out to the other routers running eigrp as they're default network.

In fact, go one step further... on a neighbour router, it'll show the route in the routing table with the usual "*" (for default route), using the next nearest interface as next hop. It's quite a neat design by cisco.

Give it a shot.
    Mike
    There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

Taking a time-out to add the CCVP. Capitalizing on a current IPT pilot project.
  • Options
    mikearama wrote:
    You got it.

As long as the router that you issue this command on has a direct connection to the network being assigned, and it's been entered into eigrp using the network command, it'll dole it out to the other routers running eigrp as they're default network.

In fact, go one step further... on a neighbour router, it'll show the route in the routing table with the usual "*" (for default route), using the next nearest interface as next hop. It's quite a neat design by cisco.

Give it a shot.
    Mike

Awsome, I appreciate it. I'll load it up tonight on my lab before I take my case study. Much appreciated.
  • Options
    Well, for whatever reason it didnt work in the hand's on final tonight. But I did figure out under EIGRP configuration if you input the following it would kick out the statically assigned route, basically do the same thing that I was needing to get done. It just input the next hop router as the gateway of last resort, with D*

I'm thinking it's an IOS issue, your command most likely work's on the newer equipment.

Router(config-router)# redistribute static