Options

Failed

techaustechaus Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
After long hours of studying the Wiley and Sybex books and numerous practice questions I failed the exam with a 690. I was completely taken aback by the types of questions that were asked. So many were ambiguous, like showing 4 right answers and telling you to pick the best ones. Only two port number questions, hardly anything on cryptography, and three questions about mandatory access control that were all the same questions reworded. I feel like they need to revise their question bank a bit. I also had a lot of multiple option answers. And questions on NIPS and HIPS that I did not find in the reading. I want to take the exam again in a week or so but I don't have another $250 to hand over for it..

This is so disheartening.

Certs: Network+
Working On: Security+

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    That was my experience, and many others, as well. Hang in there, keep studying, and nail it next time. 690 is very close, so don't give up now.
  • Options
    danclarkedanclarke Member Posts: 160
    I'm sorry to hear about your experience - but as dynamik says, you were so close.

This is not a trivial exam, and I think all of us who have been through it have had similar experiences. There is no "dishonour" in failing - but I know what you mean about the money. Can you get discount vouchers?

Fingers crossed for the next attempt.
    -- Dan
  • Options
    sentraser20sentraser20 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I completely agree. I was floored by some of the questions i got. they made no sense some of them. I am hopeing that this place will help me pass it Monday
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    I completely agree. I was floored by some of the questions i got. they made no sense some of them. I am hopeing that this place will help me pass it Monday

From what I've been told the exam is more of a troubleshooting and scenario based exam where you need to understand and be able to apply the knowledge to be successful. Best of luck to you and let us know how you do!!
  • Options
    examseekerexamseeker Member Posts: 118
    Yeah, I remember those questions. Don't give up! Be overprepared for this exam! That is the advice I followed (from techexams forums). I also remembered just reading a question and asking myself what are they asking for here kinda thing. You were close to passing it too..

Good luck!
  • Options
    Vogon PoetVogon Poet Member Posts: 291
    Sorry to hear that. 690 isn't that far off. That's the huge challenge with this test - the required passing score. Yeh, the questions can be ambiguous. I too had few port or cryptography questions and a lot of questions about planning/paperwork (backups, disaster plans, standards/policies, etc.). I recommend using the Exam Cram 2 Practice Questions book. It's a good way to see some questions that may be worded differently from what you studied.
    No matter how paranoid you are, you're not paranoid enough.