Just Curious

wheelywheely Member Posts: 105
I was just curious if there was any type of specific dress code where everyone works. Do you have to wear a tie because I hate wearing a tie.

Comments

• Project2501Project2501 Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I like wearing a tie. I'll get a suit when I can.

Fridays are casual.
    - Pete
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    wheely wrote:
    I was just curious if there was any type of specific dress code where everyone works. Do you have to wear a tie because I hate wearing a tie.

It all depends on the company All 3 of the places I have worked at were business casual nothing to special.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Current company is business casual. Last company was business casual except for well kept denim jeans were allowed because they were a denim manufacturer.

Our parent company requires business formal - coat, tie, the works for all employees in their main office. I would rather die.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • slinuxuzerslinuxuzer Member Posts: 665 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Where I work now is a manufacturing facility, there is no code really, obviously some things you cant do, but jeans and a pull over are widely acceptable, the hospital I worked at before had uniform shirts, the consulting company before that was going to uniform shirts and slacks, but I left before that came along.

Funny story about that, the guy I worked for was a HUGE prick, almost the biggest ever (barring my current boss of 2.5 years who frequently comes to work HAMMERED) when he asked me to pick out the shirts they were all polo pull over, I like button down, I asked him if I could order button down instead; on my own dime becuase they cost more, he says no I want you to look like everyone else.

This was consulting work and you used your vehicle (reimbursed milage, of which there was daily haggling over, map quest verification etc) he didn't want you smoking in your own vehicle between client sites, becuase they might smell, but when you go to a site and there are nine old ladys smoking inside a lawyers office, then you could smell like smoke.

Anyway I think jeans, and a nice shirt should be fine until the day I start making 90k or more. When I think about uniforms and black tie dress codes and my previous boss I just laugh at how silly some people get about attire.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I work for a sign company, which is primarily manufacturing. I stick with jeans and various smart-ass shirts from places like thinkgeek.com (i.e. "Not even Norton can protect you")
  • PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Always have to wear a suit, if I am going to a customer site I have to wear a tie, if im in the office I take it off because I feel more comfortable.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    1) Current company (Manufacturing), semi-business casual dress shirt and jeans.
    2) Last company (Corporate). business casual dress shirt and slacks.
    3) Company before that (Consulting), semi-business casual dress shirts or polo's with slacks.
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    shirt and tie - as we are white collar workers after all, bar casual friday of course!
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    slacks and polos if i'm in the field. Can wear shorts and t-shirt when i'm in the office, but usually don't since I don't know when I will get called out. Started wearing button down shirts on my own, because I work with a lot of lawfirms and it looks more professional.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    1st) No real dress code but you couldn't wear shorts or stuff like that
    2nd) Business casual with fridays
    3rd) Semi-business casual
    4th) No holds barred! Although there is NO dress code, wear a crappy wore out white t-shirt if you want, I still wear business casual and dress down on fridays
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • coffeekingcoffeeking Member Posts: 305 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I work in IS department of a bank, everyone, regardless of being in front or back office is required to wear a tie. So dress pants and shirt with a tie it is.
  • vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Monday through Thursday is business attire.
    Friday is casual day :)

I work in the corporate office of a large electrical contractor. :D
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Completely casual here. I work at a tile manufacturing company.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • CabbageThe1CabbageThe1 Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Clothes, as long as I'm wearing something then I'm good. Just Kidding.....casual and all the smart ass T-shirts I can find! :D
    If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style!
  • Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    I like wearing a tie. I'll get a suit when I can.

Fridays are casual.

pretty much the same thing with me! I have to wear a tie to work and I like it... I just feel more professional. Fridays here are casual as well, sometimes I don't dress casual though.
  • hettyhetty Member Posts: 394
    Casual as much as possible, but business casual otherwise.
  • Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    Currently, I wear nice pants, button down shirt, no tie, and we have casual Fridays. My boss likes me to dress like that, even though he wears jeans most days. The engineers and most everyone else wears whatever they want. The VPs usually wear the same as me, sometimes with a jacket. My old job was sweet, no dress code at all from the client, even though my company wanted at least polo style shirt with no jeans.....
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,078 Admin
    I love dressing very nicely on Casual Fridays and observing the nervous glances from fellow employees who think they missed an email informing everyone of important visitors in the office that day.

I also worked at a computer gaming company where I would go to work in jeans and a Hawaiian shirt on Casual Fridays and still be considered overdressed.
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am jealous of most, as I am in shirt and tie every day for a landscape company...Mind you we are a very large landscape company. Whenever I have vendors and what not come in, I feel completely overdressed and out of place. I understand the whole "image is most everything" mentality, but I think we go overboard. There is a time and place for different types of dress. PLUS, im the only one who seems to be following the dress code lately...

side note; In AZ, about 90% of all business enforce a business casual (polo, slacks, dress shoes, etc) dress code, as its too freaking hot to wear a suit!. Oh, and causal Fridays went out the window a few years ago.... icon_sad.gif
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • sir_creamy_sir_creamy_ Inactive Imported Users Posts: 298
    Monday through Thursday is a formal business speedo...

Fridays are casual ;)
    Bachelor of Computer Science

[Forum moderators are my friends]
  • supertechCETmasupertechCETma Member Posts: 377
    Friday is Hawaiian shirt day. icon_cool.gif
    Electronic Technicians Association-International www.eta-i.org
    The Fiber Optic Association www.thefoa.org
    Home Acoustics Alliance® http://www.homeacoustics.net/
    Imaging Science Foundation http://www.imagingscience.com/
  • SchluepSchluep Member Posts: 346
    We have clients from across the Country that come in from time to time. There are a few groups from Texas that always show up in jeans and button down shirts, so we wear jeans an button down shirts on those dates. We have some people from West Virginia that alway come in Jeans and overheard 3 button polo type shirts, so that is what we wear on those days. Our South Dakota/New Jersey visitors are usually suit/tie so we wear suit/ties on those days. If nobody is coming in there is no dress code because our Call Center threateneded to unionize over it several years ago. There are always a few people who don't check their e-mail or the various signs posted around the building before our clients come in and forget to dress accordingly so we hide them or have them shut their door whenever they are in that part of the building. It can be hard to keep track of at times.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You guy should keep a few pairs of coveralls available, and whoever doesn't comply has to push around a mop bucket and clean the bathrooms and windows all day :D
  • supertechCETmasupertechCETma Member Posts: 377
    dynamik wrote:
    You guy should keep a few pairs of coveralls available, and whoever doesn't comply has to push around a mop bucket and clean the bathrooms and windows all day :D
    sounds like management material to me... icon_cool.gif
    Electronic Technicians Association-International www.eta-i.org
    The Fiber Optic Association www.thefoa.org
    Home Acoustics Alliance® http://www.homeacoustics.net/
    Imaging Science Foundation http://www.imagingscience.com/