Options

Looking for some advice.

msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
Greetings everyone,

I have been thinking my current situation over for a while now but I'm having a hard time coming to a decision. I spent 8 years working for a statewide local computer retailer, even though I was getting experience in business to business sales and service and deploying networks for customers, I didn't want to get roped into retail management for the rest of my life (past 5 years of that 8 years was spent managing various branches). I enrolled in a bachelors program for technology management minoring in network security, and a short while later I tool a position with one of my best customers from my retail experience as a network technician. Officially, my title is a helpdesk/lan support, however the title is deceiving. I do answer helpdesk calls, but the majority of my time is spent building, installing, and deploying servers or managing the network equipment. I've been working with a mix of Server 2k/2003, Linux, and FreeBSD and we have about 40 remote offices managed as well using various Cisco and HP equipment. I'm a bit frustrated right now since I'm making around 45k a year which if I were just helpdesk and a desktop tech would be great - but I do a heck of a lot more in addition to that and to put things into perspective, there are three people in our IT department (my manager, and another individual who is basically helpdesk skill level so it's me and my manager who can handle the server or network equipment issues) and we support ~2500 users. Needless to say things get hectic, and giving the scope of the work I am doing, I feel I am worth more than this but since I am working at a place that looks better on the resume than "branch manager" I have been apprehensive to look elsewhere.

The motivation to look elsewhere has been growing lately as my wife and I welcomed our first child just over 9 months ago, and between our regular expenses, cost of childcare and my education on top of that (I am still enrolled full-time and am partially financing it for about another year to go), it's beginning to be a very tight budget.

The downsides of my current job where I'm not too happy with the pay - it's a real estate company, and they basically said no raises until the market picks up. They also are very very cheap, I had a heck of a time securing a $300 or so 3 tech license for some remote control software. They do not invest nor have any interest in investing in training for us, which I was hoping for to help cover some texts and exam costs for some certs I am pursuing.

The upsides of my current job are it's simply a great work environment. Very very laid back, we all get along great and my manager would go up to bat for any of us should our positions ever be in trouble of elimination or anything like that - so job security is excellent.

I have a friend who can help get me in the door at a higher paying position that equips their department with the great equipment making the job easier and also invests in their staff members by paid training and certification. It is also a much larger nationwide company with dozens of datacenters so the experience would be much more broad as well. I'm just worried about job security with a larger organization like that. An IT related company with 1000's of IT workers is more likely to eliminate positions than my current company with the 3 of us helping 2500+ users (if anything we need to ADD staff).

I guess I'm just looking for some opinions or advice. Part of me says play it safe and stay where I am. But the other part of me says take a small risk and you'll probably be better off in the long run. I would normally jump to the other position, but with my son to support now and me being the primary income, it's not as easy of a decision.

Thanks,

-Mike

Comments

• Options
    oo_snoopyoo_snoopy Member Posts: 124
    You're not going to get very far if you don't take risk, but a risk is a risk. With your family I think it might be wiser to stay put, and take the risk later when you're better prepared to handle the unexpected.

Think about this, if you move to the new job, get laid off after a year, how quickly could you get back on your feet? How long can you go without a mortgage payment? If you think you have the skills to quickly get going again, and the saving to get by in the short time, go for it!
    I used to run the internet.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Throw your resume out there and make a few calls. I don't think it's that big of a risk. It's not like you're just picking up and moving in hopes of finding something better. If something that suites you better comes along, take it. Don't be hasty and rush into things, but keep your options open.
  • Options
    RikkuRikku Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Mike,

It sounds like you are in a "safe" situation where you are right now. While I agree with the other persons comment of "risk something to gain something". You don't always have to drop what you are doing to go somewhere else.

If you can ask yourself the question are you talented and believe in your own ability/skills? Most everyone has experience; but not everyone has skill. Do you stand out and can you make an impact to someone at an interview? Can you handle multiple areas of "coverage" in a network environment and are you keeping up to date on the expanding "new" network technologies such as virtualization, storage tech etc... If you are in that "catagory"..you can command a job and get the pay you deserve.

From what you described. I think you probably worth a lot more then 45K from what you mentioned and the users you are supporting. I think you believe that as well. I have a good example from my personal job experience. I supported a lot fewer users then you did. I was one of the sole IT Engineers in my last company and I was paid about 62K and I felt I was underpaid... But, I did not complain and in the end I suffered for not focusing on "myself" and my continuing certifications/education. After 4 years of working off my arse; they hired a new IT Engineer who was supposed to "add" to our team. Turns out, since he had about 6 years more experience then me and also had some other technical certifications and experience in some areas that did not have (Project Management, Infrastructure Architecting.) They decided to pay him 100K and let me go.

Get this. The funny thing is that the company was pulling in profit very well. They were private, so no shareholders and they are a small company. The economy has no impact on them what so ever. I knew the CEO pretty well. The CEO gave me some line when he hired me that "We do not fire people here". Then, the day they let me go he tells me; it was such a "terrible and hard decision" to let me go. But, I realize in the end they figured they could save an extra 40K a year since they could add that value to thier development pool. They were hiring dev guys left and right. They took the guy who was most valuable and dumped the other, regardless of what mark or difference he made...etc...etc. There is no loyalty or obligation you know..at the end of the day..its just business.

Anway my most important point is..don't EVER EVER assume your safe where you are. I dont care who you work for or what the situation is. There is NO perfect or safe position (unless you win the lottery). So, look out for youself! If you decide it is a good idea to leave, weigh the good and the bad and take the risk if you think/feel that it is the right decision.

I don't want to sound negative..though I probably sound bitter. I'm really am not. I am positive about who I am and what I can provide. I am now focusing on a dream I had while I was working for that other company. Now, I have some possible interviews/opportunities with 2 companies in Japan. My wife and I should be moving there within this year; since that was our long term goal to eventually move back to Japan and start our family there. I am not going to spend my time worrying about the opinion of others. I will make my own future and make sure when that other door opens, I will walk through it.