Got a PC you are sick of having to constantly reimage?

cacharocacharo Member Posts: 361
Check this out, perfect for that customer or student pc that keeps on getting messed with.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/sharedaccess/default.mspx
Treat people as if they were what they ought to be, and you help them become what they are capable of being.

Comments

• paintb4707paintb4707 Member Posts: 420
    Very nice. Seems like a free alternative to Deep Freeze

Thanks for the info.
  • sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It does seem like a good alternative to deepfreeze. One issue however I am finding is that if a user is in the local power users group they can turn off disk protection.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I've worked a little bit with SteadyState, and it seems to work pretty well. My former teacher uses it on the library-computers at the college, as well as some of the systems strewn around the school buildings that are available for student-use. It's not a perfect tool, some things need to be tweaked manually, but the price is right and configuration & management is very easy.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
    I was wondering what they used on my college's computers since restarting erased everything on the computers. If we wanted to save anything, we would need to put it on the mapped network drive. I kinda wish they would update them every once in awhile, IE6 is swore on the eyes.

Theres no SteadyState or DeepFreeze for Vista yet? It seems like they installed XP on the machines at my school just to use those programs. The machines are brand new Core 2 Quads and even have Vista ready stickers on them. Or is there another reason for them not to use Vista?