DNS and Network Security (291)

lilott8lilott8 Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
I took the 291 today, unfortunately, I didn't pass it icon_sad.gif. Sad say. But I did learn that I SUCK in these areas: "Implement, manage, and maintain Name Resolution" and "Implement, manage, and maintain Network Security". (I'm under 1/3 on both these graphs *sigh*)

I was going to ask for some good, thorough study materials that would help me become better at them. Also, I have a vmware team set up that has 2 DC's, 1 RRAS, and 2 XP clients. any scenarios that could help me experiment would be helpful.

ANY information would be helpful :).

Thanks
~Jason

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    What did you use to study for the exam?
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Suggested scenarios hmm... Well obviously do all the labs in the MSPress book.

If you have the power, I would try to setup an enterprise environment for yourself.

DCDNS1 - Active directory integrated & DC *** DNS-2 AD intergrated *** DNS-3 caching only
    DHCP1 - DHCP server *** DHCP-2 failover machine
    1-2 XP clients

Try to take down each server without it impacting your XP clients at all. Then create IPSEC communication between your DNS servers.

I usually go beyond what I want to learn in labs trying to create a cool environment with lots of failover.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • lilott8lilott8 Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote:
    What did you use to study for the exam?

I dont have much: M/S self-paced training kits by JC Mackin and Ian McLean and the Visual CertExam Manager testing playground and a vmware team
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Look at my sticky post. Read the areas you're weak in. Ask questions in the forum when you are confused. And do what Mishra said.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • pwjohnstonpwjohnston Member Posts: 441
    In conjunction with the MS Press books I'd highly recommend the Transcender for it as well. They have 5 modules on the 291 and two of them are:

Implement, manage, and maintain Name Resolution
    Implement, manage, and maintain Network Security