Options

windows/linux dual boot with full disk encryption

livenliven Member Posts: 918
anyone done this:

goal xp and ubuntu on the same laptop with each being fully encrypted.

Planned execution:

LInux: LVM with guided install and encryption
Windows: Truecrypt full disk encryption...

We will see what happens, if anyone has any ideas/thoughts suggestions now is the time!
encrypt the encryption, never mind my brain hurts.

Comments

• Options
    pwjohnstonpwjohnston Member Posts: 441
    Are you going to try an access the data from either OS or are you going to keep them totally isolated on separate partitions?
  • Options
    I don't think it will be possible for data to be accessed across OS with my proposed solution.

I have been playing with truecrypt and linux all day and can not get it to fully encrypt the disk. There are some methods to get close but it is going to be a pain in the @rse.

Windows will be encrypted with truecrpyt and hopefully I can use AES on each OS. However I will have no way of mounting the the file system across OS platforms (thus de-encrypting will probably not be possible).

Now that I say that I will be shot down be someone that has done this or knows how to do this.

So even if I get shot down at least I will have some guidance.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Could you put linux in a VM and run it from within windows?
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,045 Admin
  • Options
    JDMurray wrote:
    Looks like you're not the first person to want this setup: HOWTO: Set up Full Disk Encryption in a Dual Boot System

Man I looked for articles and how to type stuff and I could not find anything like what you posted.

THanks!!!

I am going to give it a go today and see what happens!
  • Options
    Just an fyi for anyone that might be wanting to attempt this.

The link that is posted above is a good starting point, but missing several steps in regards to the Ubuntu installation.

I am still ironing out the bugs, but if anyone has any questions please feel free to ask!