Options

Studying for Securtity+

hjghjghghjghjghg Inactive Imported Users Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi Folks,
I do not have any prior ideas on security, I am only using A+, Network+, Security + exams in a nutshell by O'Reilly.
Pls can this help me, any advise on what material a novice like me can use on security+.
Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Syngress Security+ book (buy direct if you want a cheap PDF version), CBT Nuggets, and Transcender. There's a lot to it, but it was the most interesting material I've studied so far.
  • Options
    coffeekingcoffeeking Member Posts: 305 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Do not take Security+ easy, you would hear it as an entry level cert for security but it goes deeper than an entry level cert. I learned it the hard way, took it thinking its going to be easy and blew it. I don't plan to take it again until I am all prepared. I wouldn't recommed you what to use since I haven't passed the exam using the material I used, but I used Security+ guide by Mike Chiampa, and that is all I used, another reason why I failed because I used that book as single source of preparation.

GOOD Luck with your preparation, I hope you get it soon.
  • Options
    ROMGabeROMGabe Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Eduabume,

I can second Coffeeking thoughts. I worked in the PKI world 5 years ago as a junior admin, and at the time bought two books on Security+ (to come up to speed on the InfoSec essentials) and was a great way to learn about a fascinating field. At the time I was too chicken to sit in for the exam, and never took it until this March.

I also have the Oreilly's 3-combo book (1st edition, 2007 print) and it has been an awesome source for my passing Network+.

I also used Oreilly's awesome reference book to REVIEW/Brush-Up on Security+ material (and new terms/protocols/concepts), but I would NOT recommend anyone read only this book to prepare for Security+. I found All In One (helpful to understand the concepts, ideas, and how they work in real world) and also Exam Cram 2 (to focus on thinking&applying these concepts thru the means of test questions and review).

I would highly recommend for the Security+ exam that you use a 2nd book (which can go in more details and explanations than Oreilly's scope is) and ALSO the TechNotes here are 1st rate.

Have fun learning about security and good luck with the test.
    ----
    Studying CCENT/ICND1 (640-822)
    Future tests:
    in 2008: CCENT, SSCP, Linux+, A+,
    in 2009: CCNA/ICND2 (640-816), C|EH, CWNA, CWSP,
    in 2010: CCNP, CCSP.
  • Options
    hjghjghghjghjghg Inactive Imported Users Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks all for these advice. I wish everyone luck and I wish myself.