Options

machine dying

kizzibilletkizzibillet Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have a machine that this is not responding first:
1. when try to boot in safe mode, goes to the screen to choose option and the keyboard will not respond for me to choose safe mode
2. after restarting the machine that it will load normally if I click on the start menu it literally take more than 30 minutes to respond.
3. If i insert my flash drive it take long to respond and if it do I cannot do nothing

what is really wrong

the machine wont respond at all it does not execute no task given and I dont want to wipe the machine

what must do that i can run an antispyware on it

Comments

• Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Does the keyboard work at all? If you're able to get into normal windows you can force it into safe mode by editing the boot.ini and adding /safeboot:minimal or /safeboot:network if you want safe mode with networking. You could also try bartPE to make a cd or bootable thumb drive and try to recover the machine from there. It does sound like a prime candidate for a wipe and reinstall, assuming there isn't a hardware error here. It may be a good idea to run memcheck.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    hettyhetty Member Posts: 394
    1. Are you using a usb keyboard? & does the system have a PS2 port?
    2. chkdsk c: /f /r at the command prompt. Go for lunch!
    3. Could be related to #2. But, plug it in, wait for it to show up and then go to device manager, go to the properties of the flash drive, go to the policies tab, change the radio button to optimise for performance. See if it makes any difference.
  • Options
    undomiel wrote:
    Does the keyboard work at all? If you're able to get into normal windows you can force it into safe mode by editing the boot.ini and adding /safeboot:minimal or /safeboot:network if you want safe mode with networking. You could also try bartPE to make a cd or bootable thumb drive and try to recover the machine from there. It does sound like a prime candidate for a wipe and reinstall, assuming there isn't a hardware error here. It may be a good idea to run memcheck.

yes the kepboard works and I tried oth keyboard usb/ps2 it wont work when in normal mode and boot I can use the keyboard

about forcing it to boot in safe mode can u give it to me step by step (sounds confusing when reading)
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Open up explorer and navigate to your root drive, generally C: and look for boot.ini. If it isn't there then you will need to go to tools->folder options and check show hidden files and folders and uncheck hide protected operating system files. Open up boot.ini in your favourite text editor and you should see a line something similar to this:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

Remove anything after the "Microsoft Windows XP Professional" part and put in /safeboot:minimal for regular safe mode or /safeboot:network for safe mode with networking. Reboot and it should take you straight into safe mode. When you're done in there don't forget to edit boot.ini to remove /safeboot:* and reset it back to /fastdetect.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,047 Admin
    Download and burn to a CD the Avira AntiVir Rescue System and boot your computer from the CD. Choose to scan all files and repair/rename any infected files. I just encountered a series of Trojans that actually prevented Windows XP from entering into Safe Mode, and AntiVir found and clobbered them.
  • Options
    undomiel wrote:
    Open up explorer and navigate to your root drive, generally C: and look for boot.ini. If it isn't there then you will need to go to tools->folder options and check show hidden files and folders and uncheck hide protected operating system files. Open up boot.ini in your favourite text editor and you should see a line something similar to this:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

Remove anything after the "Microsoft Windows XP Professional" part and put in /safeboot:minimal for regular safe mode or /safeboot:network for safe mode with networking. Reboot and it should take you straight into safe mode. When you're done in there don't forget to edit boot.ini to remove /safeboot:* and reset it back to /fastdetect.

Thanks alot it worked I am scanning avg as we speak. but the computr is VERY slow! u click on anything it takes forever to open.

I think it is a virus but as I said before dont want to wipe machine