Options

An interview question about company acquisition

FlyingputFlyingput Member Posts: 114 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi buddies,

I met a totally out of expectation challenge as below:
Company A just bought company B. From a telephony standpoint, how to smoothly combine these two phone systems?

Could you share some tips to help me develop a high-level plan? It's not about specific hardware/software models or brands. I guess they wanna see my thinking curve... icon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

Thanks in advance!!

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Find out what they want. Find out what they have. Find out if they can afford what they want. Figure out what will do the most of what they want for what they are willing to pay. Tell them what they can get for what they are willing to pay.

Are both site already running VoIP and doing IP Telephony?
    Offices/sizes/locations/numbers/people/equipment/networks?
    PBXs?

If they only have PBXs and POTS you can start by tossing in a couple of gateways to connect the companies/offices/PBXs over their new network connections (or you can try VoIP through a VPN over the Internet if both companies have existing internet connections and VPN capabilities and you feel lucky icon_lol.gif).

If both companies already have VoIP, then toss in a couple of gateways (or reuse existing gateways) and start work on a dial plan and any necessary number translations to deal with duplicate extensions/office codes. Watch out for the political in-fighting.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    hedhrtshedhrts Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    mikej412 wrote:
    Find out what they want. Find out what they have. Find out if they can afford what they want. Figure out what will do the most of what they want for what they are willing to pay. Tell them what they can get for what they are willing to pay.

Are both site already running VoIP and doing IP Telephony?
    Offices/sizes/locations/numbers/people/equipment/networks?
    PBXs?

If they only have PBXs and POTS you can start by tossing in a couple of gateways to connect the companies/offices/PBXs over their new network connections (or you can try VoIP through a VPN over the Internet if both companies have existing internet connections and VPN capabilities and you feel lucky icon_lol.gif).

If both companies already have VoIP, then toss in a couple of gateways (or reuse existing gateways) and start work on a dial plan and any necessary number translations to deal with duplicate extensions/office codes. Watch out for the political in-fighting.

Wouldn't a simpler answer be "Hire Me". Short and to the point. :P
  • Options
    CucumberCucumber Member Posts: 192
    I would start finding out the dial-plan for both companies.
    I hate pandas
  • Options
    FlyingputFlyingput Member Posts: 114 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Guys, thank you all!

Here's my answer in brief:
    1. Information collection (current network config of both companies, current phone system config....)
    2. Work with management to learn the future business plan regarding this acquirement, budget..etc
    3. Temporary connection to keep the business run
    4. Step-by-step migration, try to use as many as possible current equipments to be cost-efficient
    blah,blah...

It seems to work well. icon_cool.gif Crossing my figures now to wait for the hiring manager's response.
    Hey, buddies, VoIP market is pretty hot. Keep moving!